1000 Yard Gun

gravedigger

I am calling Stiller Monday and ordering the Python action, I am leaning toward a 330 Dakota or 338 Lapua. I would like you guys opinion on a barrel and what twist to stabilize the 300 gr Sierra MK. I would also appreciate you guys opinion on the Mcree Precision aluminum stock for the above gun. I have never built a bolt gun before so it is a learning experience for me. Thanks in advance for any info given.

Last edited:
I would talk to Jerry first and ask about his TAC338 action instead of the Python. The python is a great action but flat on the bottom and wide, which "might" be an issue if you have a specific stock in mind. Whereas the TAC 338 might be more applicable.

Also, IMO I think the magazine version actions are way overrated for a non tactical 338. Nothing more than expensive "cool factor" in most real world applications. Just as fast to load singleshot and do not need $350-400 of bottom metal and magazines.

Plus the whole thing with LR "4 legged" animal hunting is a clean one shot kill. Now "2 legged varmints", a gut shot is OK and rapid followups esssential for the guys coming to grab him.

Go for the 338 Lapua in stock or Ack imp format also. Dave Kiff has several reamer designs for you to choose from.

Guys are using everything from 1-9.3 to 1-10 twists.

I am building a 338 Lapua Ack Imp now on a 1-10

BH

I am calling Stiller Monday and ordering the Python action, I am leaning toward a 330 Dakota or 338 Lapua. I would like you guys opinion on a barrel and what twist to stabilize the 300 gr Sierra MK. I would also appreciate you guys opinion on the Mcree Precision aluminum stock for the above gun. I have never built a bolt gun before so it is a learning experience for me. Thanks in advance for any info given.

I have not done a LR 338 so I am not sure for twist rate. I would say, whatever the rifles use for the 300 SMK off-hand.

Scott will be sending my stock in a couple of weeks, set-up for both bench shooting and field shooting.
I am pretty sure I have will more than one:D

I have a Tac 338 Stiller action on order for my handgun. I already have the Bartlein barrel and Patriot Arms FB brake. The barreled action will go into a Joel Russo laminate lee six style stock.

The twist rates the guys gave you should be correct. I'm not shooting 300's, only going as high as 250 ish. I went with with a 1:12 twist. 225 grain will be my main bullet.

My barrel is 20 inches. I'm hoping to get the 225's up to 2900-3000 fps.

good luck with your project. Glad to see I'm not the only nut who wants a .338 Lapua handgun.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.