1000 Yard Gun - .260 vs 6.5 Creedmoor

Cold Trigger Finger, Why not go to a solid. I loaned my Barnes manual out to one of my students so I don't have a handy reference in front of me, but Barnes, and other make some solids that should work for your CM in lower weights. By the way, you guys don't have a lot of shooting light up there right now, correct?

CB

I just got a custom 260 and love it. I also own a 6.5-06 and love it too. The 260 has a little more power than the Creedmore. I'd give it a very slight edge but both are great platforms.

jlamb, Nice inventory of firearms. Concerning the .260 and CM, have you heard or experienced any edge with the CM in respect to accuracy. Some say it's a more efficient cartridge and inherantly more accurate. Everything I have read says they are essentially the same, with the .260 having a bit more push. I have 60 rds of 308 through a new Savage FCP-K. I bought it with the intent to eventually rechamber it to .260. Other than just an idea, I have never shot the CM or the .260. Side Note: Do you know of a good accurate load for a 6 mm Rem with a 1:12 twist?

Crusty Buck

I've seen really good results thru Savages in the 6.5CM. Mine is a custom so the results are a little lopsided. A few questions-
1. Will this be used for hunting or target/tactical?
2. Do you plan on shooting 140 to 142 grain bullets they it?

Per the 6mm Reminton, I've got some loads for a 1 in 13" twist using 70grain Nosler BTVs. I'll message you.

CB; as long as its not cloudy we have a good 8-9 hours of shooting light. As long as it stays cold it's clear sky's. I hate it when it warms up because that usually means it will snow. We've got 10"-1' of snow on the ground. It's 37 below right now and almost enuf light to see fur hanging up in a brush fringe. Working today tho.

Cold Trigger Finger, 37 below deffinitely affects powder ignition and bullet flight. It also affects the clothes you wear. I've hunted at 20 below, but can't say I enjoyed it very much. I did remember every detail though:)what do you wear for your hands?

CB

jlamb, Nice inventory of firearms. Concerning the .260 and CM, have you heard or experienced any edge with the CM in respect to accuracy. Some say it's a more efficient cartridge and inherantly more accurate. Everything I have read says they are essentially the same, with the .260 having a bit more push. I have 60 rds of 308 through a new Savage FCP-K. I bought it with the intent to eventually rechamber it to .260. Other than just an idea, I have never shot the CM or the .260. Side Note: Do you know of a good accurate load for a 6 mm Rem with a 1:12 twist?

Crusty Buck

Crusty, check out this thread - Yet Another RRS Varmint Hammer! - 24hourcampfire

My buddy found that 47 grains of Varget or 47 grains of H414 worked great with a 70grain Nosler Ballistic Tip Varmint.

Crusty Buck ; When I'm out hunting or working in cold weather cold being 15-60 below. Tho real cold doesn't really start till 35 under. And 40 below is COLD. Maybe not to a Nupiat. But to most Alaskans 40 below is cold. 40 below is where metal starts to break and vynil just shatters. . Like the insulation on extension cords . But that's a different story.
I dress so that I don't need to be rescued and so I can be comfortable.
2 layers synthetic long Johns. 1 LAYER 200 wt polyester fleece. At 40 below and colder 300 wt fleece
Then usually Carhart Arctic Extreme bibs and a Arctic Extreme coat. But at 35 below and colder Arctic down parka. For colder than 50 below I wear my Canada Goose Resolute Arctic parka over the top of the 300 wt fleece and Carhart bibs. I wear black Bata bunny boots to 25 below then white Bata bunny boots. Colder than 30 below I wear breath warming face masks.
My hands are always a problem. Too many decades making a living with chain saws .. . But. I wear a 200 wt fleece glove then my insulated chopper mitts or military Arctic mitts. I use chem hand warmers also. . I have to regulate my activity so I don't overheat. . But I stay warm.
I used to not need so much clothes. But I've stopped fighting being cold. Now I just dress for it.

jlamb, what are you trying to get me into. I've spent plenty of $ this year already.:) I like that stock.

CB

Crusty, that's an HS Precision stock. The rifle is Rogers personal rifle. Roger own Roger's Rifle Shop in SLC. He makes amazing rifles. That 6mm in particular is a hammer!

CTF, Hunting with all that bulk has to be a challenge. It's interesting for us lower 48 er's to hear what's needed up there. I have ridden snowmobile and thrown hay bales at 50 bellow, but only for a day or two before the cold snap lifted. That was usually followed by snow, snow plowing and the deep freeze again. We no longer have those winters in Minn. For hunting in that stuff, it's either a Bolt action or Lever, maybe a pump. I wonder how the plastic clip for my Thompson Venture would hold up at -30?

jlamb, What would a stock like that cost for my Savage Model 11?:rolleyes:

44 below this morning. So far the plastic on my Savage Edge has held up. I do worry about the plastic spring retainer for that clip.
I ordered the 6.5 Creed last night. Should be here by Wednesday .. :)gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.