1000 Yard Gun - .260 vs 6.5 Creedmoor

Backwoods, I am surprised at the velocities your getting from your Creedmoor. My thinking sort of leans towards MCharger 440 thinking; that's a lot of boom for such a small cartirdge. I don't know much about the Creedmoor, except that I don't like to compete against it; it is an accurate cartridge for sure. Little Bro was telling me his son just bought a Savage heavy barrel chambered for it and plans on joining us on the firing line this winter. He touted simimilar velocities form the round, so maybe your's are the norm. The two of them also bought a 6.5-284. I suggested that the 6.5-284 was a better round, but I'm beggining to wonder if I know anything about them. Your thoughts?

CB

I think you have my thoughts and his confused, I don't shoot the Creedmoore, I simply find it hard to see a 6xc necked up to 6.5 (the origin of the Creedmore) push a 142 smk to almost 3k fps in a 26.5" barrel, my 6.5x284 with a 26.5" barrel is still just under 3100fps with a 140 berger on top of 60grns of Retumbo and a typical H 4350 or 4831sc load for the 6.5x284 is only at 2950-2980fps, so I just can't wrap my head around a glorified 22-250 case pushing 142s at anything over 2850 without over pressuring it or using a 32" barrel. The 6.5x284 is a better cartridge IMO, with colder powders and slower shot strings they aren't that hard on barrels, and they are known for their accuracy, and have set quite a few 1k records, the Creedmoore has many years of catching up to do.

BW83, Yeah, for what I have read (not experienced), the 6.5-284 is the better long range cartiridge. You can push the smaller Creedmoor, but you can do that with the 6.5-284 as well. For long range hunting, my bet is the 6.5-284. I have a .308 Win and and a 300 Win Mag. Both work well at 300 yards, but I bought the 300 for the long shots. I can get the pill to the target at 500 yards with the 308, but not with the same authority as the 300. Accuracy, if I push the 308, SD and accuracy suffers. With the 300, I can back of the charge a bit, get the SD and accuracy I want, and cruise into the target with the energy that I want. Don't get me wrong, at the bench punching paper at 500 yards, I'll shoot the 308 instead. Safety!

CB

Well I shot a 120lb whitetail this morning with a 208 amax at 2990 mv from a 24" barreled 300wby at 441 yrds, of course it looked like it got hit by a Mack running 70mph but with the same shot placement the 6.5x284 will do the same, the big boomers don't shine until 6-700+ yards. I have shot a 210 pound whitetail at 516 with a 168 nosler bt from a 308 with no negative effects, just gotta get it where it needs to go.

Backwoods83, Can we say overkill:). I shot a big Doe 90 yards away last Saturday with the 300 @ 3150 fps and 150 grain SST's: Lights Out!. I have also shot deer at 350 yards with a 7X57, 139 interlocks: knocked her off her feet and she died by the time I walked to her. Big Buck in Colorado with 32 Win SpL 170 grain at 150 yards. First shot downed it, but had to watch it die. I have shot a number deer with 12 ga slugs at 30-125 yards and have had mixed results, all collected, but some ran 60 yards or more. So what's the moral of the story? Every animal has it's own resistance to lead poisoning. I totally agree that the 6.5-284, with it's very good sectional density, will do the same, or nearly the same as the 30's. My reservation is the heavy lead used for big bear. I'm not sure the the 140 grain 6.5's will do the same thing as 220 grain .308 in a 300 win mag. on big bear. Any animal smaller than that, I'm in full agreement with you. Logging off for the evening. Happy Thanksgiving.

CB

I have a Shilen barrel that is a lot faster than it should be. . Like 110 fps faster. . Its not in a 6.5 Cal . But maybe Shilen just makes fast barrels. But then maybe not.
I do think the Creed is very efficient. .

Rl 17 is the only powder that my Creedmoor gets anywhere near this velocity with I loose 100 fps with hot loads of anything else (tried win 760 blew the primer out of the case at 39.5gn) rl 17 just seems to be my golden ticket

I've head good things about RL 17. I have gotten used to using RL 15 in my 308 and 223. I even use it with 150's in my 300 Win mag. As a rule though, it's RL 19 and 22 for the 300. Will RL 17 work for the 308? I know I'm preaching to the choir, but as far as the CM goes, it a real efficient cartridge. What's the recoil like for benching the little monster? I had a Tikka lite in 308 and it bucked and jumped a little more than my 300. I now have a heavier 308 with a muzzle break for benching and baggin.

CM

I think the warmest its been here in the past 2 weeks is 5 below. Maybe 7 below. With an avg of 20 below. . Thats why powders like BLC2 are almost useless. . I was going thru one of my chronographing books a little bit ago and was surprised to realize how much shooting I do at colder than 40 below.

Cold Finger Trigger, I Live in Minnesota and do all my 500 yard shoots during the winter months. I used RL 15 in my 308 and RL 19 and 22 in the 300 Win mag. I think the coldest we have shoot matches is + 15 and the warmest was last spring when the day started at 35 and went to 65 by the end of the shoot. I was using Rl 22 and I had a difficult time with the temp. Finally set my round in the last existing snow bank. I have had better luck with the RL 15 in the 308, but changing temps screw around with the zero point there as well. I'm down to my last containter of RL 15 and will start trying some Varget. I might lose a little velocity, but consistancy is what I'm after. I just ried a load of AA2520 in the 308 and was very impressed with the grouping.

Thoughts/Comments??

CB

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.