1000 yard coyotes

coyote 1000 yards

a coyote is a very small target. i have shot the 300 win and 6.5-284 at 1000 yards. i have killed around 250 coyotes. farthest one was 492. for $ 1000 for the rifle your only choice is either a sendero/laredo in .264 mag or 7 mmmag; or the savage f class 6.5-284. if you add the amount for a remington action ; kreiger barrel and a mcmillan/or hs precision stock you are going to be over 1000 for the gun. none of those calibers will go 1500 rounds. and they are a little too much for gophers. maybe a 6mm ai. my opinion the 22 cal is not enough for coyotes at 1000 yards( not saying it could not be done just not consistently).

If you want 3400fps from a 6mm 105... you're looking at probably something like a 6mm-284... and barrel life is going to be interesting most likely.

The Dasher should get the job done (figure what the actual percentage of shots you might take at those distances - usually small for most people - and weigh them into the equation); it definitely has the accuracy at distance.

At some point you're going to have to learn to read the wind. Trying to outsmart it by going to bigger/faster bullets only gets you so far... eventually you need to learn to shoot in the wind. And it'll still probably eat your lunch more often than not. At least it does me ;)

I would have to agree; How many shots are going to be @ 1000 yards???

I don't know how much coyote hunting you do, but it is way more fun to call them in and have to bark at them to stop them at 100 yards, than it is to poke at them at long distance. The way I have my yote rigs set up, if I get a dog that holds up way out there I can range him and have a good chance to kill him if it is not too windy. I won't shoot at him if he is past 600 yards even in no wind because 98% I will miss, and 100% of the time I will never call that dog in again.

Its one thing to shoot gongs or prairie dogs out to 1000 yards off of a bench, but I would have to say killing a coyote at 1000 yards is not impossible, but almost ;)

Last edited:
Yaa, I'm starting to get that sense and am keeping my options open.

6BRX is beginning to look better all the time as a first long range rifle.

Though that Savage F-Class 6.5-284 is just gorgeous and would be a fine piece of hardware.

Ok, how about this idea... I get a single shot Savage Model 12 (stainless) from WalMart for $700 in a 22-250. Get a couple hundred rounds of Winchester ammo. Have fun with that. Then rent a reamer and ream the barrel to a 22-250AI and buy a reloading kit with 22-250AI dies for the Win brass. Then shoot the crap out of this rifle knowing that I won't get a lot of life out of the barrel. Then swap barrels to 6BRX, etc.

Sig if you really want to go the factory route, and get a 22-250 get a Savage. But I would get the Savage Long range Precision Varminter, I believe you can still get them in the 1-9" twist, even though their webpage list 1-12". Check it out, that would be the better choice for what you want anyways. Its got the heavier barrel 1" diameter, Its got the H-S stock (tough as nails, not a cheesy plastic stock) with alum action blocking, and its a stainless steel singleshot much like if not the same as the new target action.

The 1-9" would be good for those 75 grain amax's. But the downsides are Its more money than your $700 walmart gun and the gun weighs 12 pounds or thereabouts. Still don't know about 1000 yard coyotes, but it would be fun for squirrels at long range. With every choice there will be compromises to be made.

Personally I would get what I wanted the first time, the 6brx would be nice and probably the least amount of compromises.

Last edited:
Now what would be really cool would be if Savage (or any factory) would start offering a 6mm BR factory varmint rifle. Cooper don't count; out of my price range/taste ;)

A varmint model w/ suitable stock, etc. in .243 Win might also be a viable option... with factory twist you could push the 87gr V-Max to probably 3200-3300+, or a 90gr VLD from Berger, etc. Once the original barrel goes T.U., you could rebarrel w/ a 1-8" twist and go for the big boys... 105-115gr bullets. I ran the 115gr DTACs over 47.5gr H1000 @ 3080fps... the load worked well. The gun had some problems (due to the guy who did the stock work for me... :( ) but the load worked fine.

The 12 F/Open (6.5-284) rifle is a dang fine piece of machinery - mines sitting here soaking in the cleaning cradle while I finish loading rounds for some 500yd F-Class tomorrow. Normally a bit 'close' for fielding a cannon like this, but my 12 F/TR (.308) is back at the factory getting a new barrel screwed on, and I need to fire-form about 75rds of brass anyways ;)

I bet sooner or later some manufacture other than Cooper will make a 6mm BR Norma. I and it will probably be Savage, because they listen and are in tune to their customers. Its just too good of a thing not to.

How would you like to see an F-class rifle in that, 1-8" that would be exciting.

Thanks for the reply and it sounds like good advice. Just got back from WM but didn't order (won't do any good until Monday anyway). Have to spend some of the money I got back from a business trip reimbursement (gotta love over 850 miles at $.475 per mile reimbursement when my TDI gets 50mpg!) so I'm getting antsy.

The rifle I'm looking at is the Model 12 Varminter Low Profile Single Shot
which has the laminated stock and fluted stainless barrel. Chunky but good looking rifle that I should have a lot of fun with and that should be a good value for upgrading later.

The rifle you mentioned Flybuster is $919 at WM so is a fair bit more money and I don't necessarily need the upgrades it offers since for starters, at least until I upgrade barrels, I'm going to limit myself to lighter bullets and shorter ranges. It's a very nice rifle though.

I'm leaning towards a Mueller 8.5-25×50AO Eraticator as a good bang-for-the-buck scope. My kids and wife will be shooting this rifle and I don't want to be paranoid that they'll damage a $1000+ scope.

Man, Remington is sure proud of their 22-250 brass they sell through WalMart. It's twice as expensive as most of the other brass at about $34/100. Heck, might as well shoot the Win 45 gr JHP bulk ammo at $25/40.

If I can get this rifle put together maybe I'll take it down to S Idaho with me over Christmas and get some time away from the in-laws so I can go glass for Coyotes out in the Owyhees.

But for now I gotta spend some family time and then get some sleep so I can scout for elk in the AM. Only have about a dozen days left in the year to get an elk with my bow.

++++++++++++++

Sig if you really want to go the factory route, and get a 22-250 get a Savage. But I would get the Savage Long range Precision Varminter, I believe you can still get them in the 1-9" twist, even though their webpage list 1-12". Check it out, that would be the better choice for what you want anyways. Its got the heavier barrel 1" diameter, Its got the H-S stock (tough as nails, not a cheesy plastic stock) with alum action blocking, and its a stainless steel singleshot much like if not the same as the new target action.

The 1-9" would be good for those 75 grain amax's. But the downsides are Its more money than your $700 walmart gun and the gun weighs 12 pounds or thereabouts. Still don't know about 1000 yard coyotes, but it would be fun for squirrels at long range. With every choice there will be compromises to be made.

Personally I would get what I wanted the first time, the 6brx would be nice and probably the least amount of compromises.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts