1000 yard club quest.....

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
Well, headed out this morning with my Dad and brother to try for the 1K club with the Varmint Hunters Association. It is supposed to get in the 90 degree range today so we heard out early.

We drove out and right off the bat we found several chucks on a rock pile at 1120 yards. My brother lined up his Heavy V-Block 338 Kahn and took the first shot at one and landed about 1 foot low.

The chucks all ran for the dens but came back out after about 5 minutes. His second shot just overshot by inches it looked like and the chucks again hit the dens.

We waited for several more minutes and then another chuck came up on a closer rock pile. 1070 yards was the range or average of several ranges and the big rifle is supposed to be dialed in dead on at that range.

Just before he could shoot the chuck dove off the rock. Then seconds later I could see just the head of the chuck poking up over the rock. I said if you hit him
he is dead, no chance to loose him with a body hit!!!

He lined up and I watched the shot impact just behind the chuck, but then to my suprise, the chuck fell over and started doing the ol tail whip!!!!

At a boys were given and hands shaked, Korey was in the 1K club within 15 minutes from the time we set up the rifle. We watched the rocks for another 15 minutes and things were pretty slow. There were a few chucks here and there but nothing that would jump up on a rock and sit there for a shot.

Finally I glassed a chuck sitting up on a big round rock and asked Korey if Dad could use his rifle to try for the shot as it was already set up and ready to roll. We got it set up and got a range of 1080 yards. We told him to take a dead center hold. At the shot, the chuck simply fell off the rock sideways. I had seen many a chuck roll off a rock looking like they were hit when in fact they were not but in this case it looked like a good solid hit. Again, the shot kicked up dust right behind where the chuck was sitting and there was no jump in the chuck when it came off the rock, I was sure it had gotten knocked off the rock.

We set there and talked it over and as Dad usually gets he was pretty sure there was no way in hell he had hit the chuck. I was pretty sure he had and Korey was also.

The mirage was getting pretty heavy so we decided to pack it up and drivedown and see if we had kills.

We walked up to the rock where Dads chuck was and there was no sign of a hit at first but as I looked closer in the rocks I found a spot of blood. Then as I looked way down into the shadows of the rocky den mouth I saw a chuck
head looking at me. I turned around and stuck my hand out to Dad and he had no idea why. I said I wanted to shake your hard for getting into the 1000
yard club with a legit, honest, witnessed one shot kill at 1081 yards!!

He did not believe me until I reached down the den mouth to my armpit and pulled out a dead chuck. Hit right through the shoulders!!

He was like a little kid!

We then walked over to the pile that Korey had shot at. I was about 99% sure there was a dead chuck on that pile of rocks from what I had seen through the spotter and sure enough there was. Hit just under the head and killed instantly. They were both in the 1K club in less then 15 minutes apart!!!

416826.jpg

In this area, there are not alot of chuck so we generally only hunt them for an hour or so in the morning and then give them a brake. TO kill two chuck at this range in the same morning is not the norm but was alot of fun. May seem kind of boring for some to only kill two chucks but for us its well worth it.

I did not get any bullets in the air but I did not care either. I get alot out of watching my rifles do their job and in this case the Heavy V-Block 338 Kahn performed extremely well. Would like to say congrats to my Brother Korey and my Dad Roy for their fine shooting.

Now its my turn to get in the 1K club and then onto 1500 yards!!

Specs on the rifle by the way are the following:

-Fully accurized Rem 700 converted to single shot
-Rifles Basix 2-6 oz trigger
-Gre Tan striker assembly
-36" Lilja 1.350" diameter straight cylinder 1-10 twist
-McMillan MBR Tooley stock
-APS Heavy V-block barrel bedding system
-APS four port muzzle brake
-Leupold LR one piece base
-Burris Signature 30mm rings
-Super Sniper 20x
-Scope level

Finished weight 29 lbs

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Driving a rig like that makes LR shooting much easier! Good shooting guys!
of course... saying "well, we only got 2 chucks past 1k" is kinda like saying "well, we only caught 2 bass over 15lbs today" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kirby:

Looks like the Kahn is getting a pretty good workout. You don't kill a chuck, or pretty much anything, at 1000 yards plus unless you know what you're doing and have a good gun in front of you.

I know they had a good gun in front of them and looks like Roy and Korey both know how to put the hurt on critters way out there.

Looks like Korey is getting a lot of fun and good use out of his new long range gun. He might be looking for a 338 AM also if he keeps stretching the Kahn to it's limits.

You'd better keep Black Sunshine locked up or they might want to borrow her and your family record might be in danger. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif You might have the whole family in the 500-2000 yard clubs by the end of the summer if you keep this up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Great story and pic and keep us posted on the next "club" entries.

[ QUOTE ]
"well, we only got 2 chucks past 1k" is kinda like saying "well, we only caught 2 bass over 15lbs today"

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't think of anything better to say. That was really good shooting with amazingly few shoots.

Looks good Kirby

Tell your brother and dad congrats, i bet they had a hell of a time!!!! That rifle looks pretty good, i wonder who their smith is ??????? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

One shot kill at 1081yds, not much you can say about that but WOW!!!!!!

Congrats again guys

steve

Well done to your brother and dad.

I guess the fella that put the rig together didn't do to bad either.....

Sure do like your dad's name. Its a goodin /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Congradulations to all involved. I hope to make the 1k club sometime this summer myself, but the 1000 yard one shot club is a bit too rarified for me to even dream of!

You and your family are making this look way too easy. I know there is some luck involved, but then again the harder you work the luckier you seem to get.

Carl

SS7mm,

My brother was there for my +2300 yard poke and after he saw the consistancy of the 338 AM at this range the topic of a rifle build instantly came up but I do not think he will do it until this winter or next spring.

Consistancy wise comparing the two 338 Kahns and my 338 AM. THey are pretty much identical out to 1600-1700 yards.

I took my Kahn out the other night to try to figure out the range where it starts to loose consistancy. At 1500 yards the Kahn was very consistant, I would say in the 3/4 moa range. At 1700 yards it was still holding sub moa easily.

At 1950 yards the consistancy opened to what I would estimate 2 to 2.5 moa range so I would say my limits with my personal Kahn are in the 1800-1850 range.

My brothers rifle has the same chamber but a much longer throat and also a much shallower 1-30-00 throat angle compared to my very short and steep 3-00-00 degree throat angle. He can easily get 125 fps more velocity then I can with same pressures.

With US869 I can load my rifle up to near 3000 fps but my current load using H-50BMG is only clipping along at 2875 fps or so. Korey should be able to hit 3100 fps very comfortably and this should allow him to play with the 2000 yard range at our elevation.

I do not think he will get real serious about a new rig until he gets into the 1500 yard club and then he wants to set his next benchmark at one mile.

Both of our Kahns will handle this range easily but old Black Sunshine will sure do it without breaking a sweat!!

I think from our conversations over the past +1 year that you know I would not mind at all if my family used my rifle to break my current 2370 yard personal record. Would be happy for them or anyone else that did it, my rifle or not.

Hell, you will hopefully soon have a rifle with that potential as well!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif If the barrel will get here.

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks for the kind words from everyone.

One thing you all need to realize is that we knew the rifle was dialed in dead on at 1080 yards from previous range tests. That does not mean that you will make every shot a killing shot at this range but it certainly does not hurt your chances.

My brother had just made a kill shot with the rifle, we knew the wind hold exactly and the chuck my dad shot was basically the same range. With any good rifle dialed in and with a known range this is not all that amazing of a feat to get two chuck kill at +1000 yard with two shots. Certainly does not happen every day but things set up and unfolded just right for it to happen and a little luck helped as well.

It was a good shoot. You take those days when you get them. The funny thing is I will probably go through a box of ammo trying to get into the 1K club!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Lerch,

They had the rifle built by some young punk in Montana, slow as hell!!! Will not give the name, just to **** slow /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!! Rifle does seem to shoot alright though.

Kirby Allen(50)

Appreciate the kind words, gentleman. I think we were looking at the better part of two years from the initial action purchase to last Saturday's hit. Well worth the wait. I had a ball and am very much looking forward to the next benchmark.

Also wanted to get on and post a quick word of thanks to my brother for putting together one hell of a rifle. He's shown lots of patience as he's baby-stepped me through this whole process and I do apprciate it. THANK YOU !!!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.