100 yd zero hitting high at 200 yd

Archer357

Hi,
Having some issues. My rifle- Bergara HMR.
300 Win Mag, 1-10 twist, 26" barrel. reloads, 185 gr Berger juggernauts, 80 grains H1000 powder. Fed mag primer. Chronograph at 3148 FPS.
problem- 100 yd zero, go to 200 yd and I'm hitting high 2". With same 100 yard zero .
SBC light ballistic app shows 1.02 MOA that would put me higher. At 300 yards if I go to ballistic app 2.75 MOA, I hit 2.5 inches high. What am I missing?
i shot at 200 yd with 100yd zero to see actual bullet stop trying to figure what I needed to do, instead got more confused.
Thanks for reading.

Without going back to 100y to confirm, everything is a guess.

100 yards is just to get it on paper. Don't waste time there at this point.
I think the worst piece of advice regularly given in outdoor magazines is the "put it 2 inches high at 100 and you'll be good to X."
Until you VERIFY at distance and adjust, anything beyond 100 yards is a guess.

I would bet that if you adjusted your 200 yard POI down 5 inches to zero, you'd see the 100 yard wouldn't change much. I've done this more than once.

Parralax or scope is loosing its ability to hold zero (and moved after your shots at 100) would seem most likely. The only other thing I could even postulate would be your ranges are wrong. If you shot at 50 yards and 100 yards (instead of 100 and 200), the bullet would probably hit high like that. Certainly dont intend to insult your intelligence, just thinking about it from "cover all your bases" perspective. I assume you are positive the yardage is correct?

Last edited:
Hi,
Having some issues. My rifle- Bergara HMR.
300 Win Mag, 1-10 twist, 26" barrel. reloads, 185 gr Berger juggernauts, 80 grains H1000 powder. Fed mag primer. Chronograph at 3148 FPS.
problem- 100 yd zero, go to 200 yd and I'm hitting high 2". With same 100 yard zero .
SBC light ballistic app shows 1.02 MOA that would put me higher. At 300 yards if I go to ballistic app 2.75 MOA, I hit 2.5 inches high. What am I missing?
i shot at 200 yd with 100yd zero to see actual bullet stop trying to figure what I needed to do, instead got more confused.
Thanks for reading.
Big, bad guy named physics disagrees. Like Jim Croce sez, don't mess around with physics. Ain't no way, sorry.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.