100 YARD SHOT ON A GOOSE

Pa Grizz

I was hunting on the river and a flock of seven or eight locked up and started in.As soon as they come in to range I shot.The first one fell so I pulled up on the the next one .It fell ,but the first had gotten up and was trying to catch up to the rest of the flock.It was out of range ,but being hurt I hoped to finish it of with a lucky shot. I had one round left.I gave it a crazy lead and pulled the trigger.It crumbled and fell on the bank..It was a lucky shot and later got my range finder.From where I stood to where it landed was 103 yards.It is not a shot I would ever take ,but being wounded I took it

Good job recovering him !
I just started shooting some #5 18g/cc tungsten and you can easily take birds at 100 yards. Expensive, yes, but I don't get to hunt much and spend more on gas so it's worth it.

Good job recovering him !
I just started shooting some #5 18g/cc tungsten and you can easily take birds at 100 yards. Expensive, yes, but I don't get to hunt much and spend more on gas so it's worth it.

I've been hand loading #9 18g/cc tungsten for 10 years and it is easy to kill turkeys at 65 yards. I haven't shot one further than 68, but the pattern density is good enough to do it. Been itching to load some waterfowling loads for it, but just can't bring myself to do it. Stuff is super expensive and I usually shoot a case or more a season. I'm afraid I'd load 25 of it and get addicted. :)

I've been hand loading #9 18g/cc tungsten for 10 years and it is easy to kill turkeys at 65 yards. I haven't shot one further than 68, but the pattern density is good enough to do it. Been itching to load some waterfowling loads for it, but just can't bring myself to do it. Stuff is super expensive and I usually shoot a case or more a season. I'm afraid I'd load 25 of it and get addicted. :)
So far I only use the TSS for chukar, geese, and turkey. I imported a bunch directly from China which brought the price below $30/lb including import duties and shipping. Will try some 5's and 2's on coyotes as soon as I finish up with my CO cow hunt.

Good shot retrieving the wounded bird. I agree, once they are hit, there is no wrong in taking a low percentage stop to try and stop them from limping away to die slowly.

On a N Dakota pheasant hunt I hit a rooster at about 35 yards. His legs were dangling and a wing gimpy but he continued to fly. I fired a second round of #5s pushed fast at 85 yards and he crumpled. Took the dog half an hour to find him but he was recovered. I never would have taken that shot on a non-wounded bird.

I was hunting on the river and a flock of seven or eight locked up and started in.As soon as they come in to range I shot.The first one fell so I pulled up on the the next one .It fell ,but the first had gotten up and was trying to catch up to the rest of the flock.It was out of range ,but being hurt I hoped to finish it of with a lucky shot. I had one round left.I gave it a crazy lead and pulled the trigger.It crumbled and fell on the bank..It was a lucky shot and later got my range finder.From where I stood to where it landed was 103 yards.It is not a shot I would ever take ,but being wounded I took it
Out of curiosity, what was your load?

Thanks
idcwby

It is not uncommon (although somewhat rare) to see a hunter take a bird at an extremely long range.
As hunting pressure increases, I think you will see the need to take longer shots while in the field.
Shells like the one's made by Hevishot (HeviMetal, Hevi X, Hevi Bismuth, Hevishot Duck/Goose) will
definitely give you an added edge when you need to make a longer shot. They simply retain more of
their energy out to extended ranges and hold their pattern so much better.

Awesome. When I used to shoot the 10 iron I was always cleanup man. Lol. We were always in awe of how far away that thing could drop the cripples. Never had a rangefinder back then but 75 yards was pretty common.

I have a handload for Hevi shot 2's that will pattern 60% in a 30" circle @100yds. Shot it a lot at geese. It will kill them standing on the ground at about 140 if you hold over enough. Will kill them about as far on a straight away shot in the air. The problem with it is crossing shots. It will cripple Canada's over 70. Fantastic for cripples. We use a laser a lot goose hunting, so these ranges are legit. The reason for the problems on crossing shots lies in the pellets themselves. They look more like gravel than shot. This causes long, thin shot strings at long range. ITX makes a 13wt pellet that is round. Should be a vast improvement, but it is never available in 2's. I have loaded a few pounds of their 10gm/cc BB's in my 10ga. Those are pretty wicked. Will kill light geese to about 125 and Canadas to about 90 on crossing shots. The biggest issue is not the patterns, you can obtain them, it is learning to hold over and lead with a very expensive shell. Expensive learning curve. You cannot kill ducks as far as you can geese with any load. All that being said, I like to use hevi 5's for my first two shots on Canadas. Head shoot them over decoys. I didn't get to go to Canada this year to hunt them due to the border being closed from Chinavirus. I had planned to take my 20ga with HeviX 2's and 4's. Plan was 4's in the barrel and 2's in the magazine. Would have been fun. BTW HeviX 4's will kill light geese cleanly to at least 40yds in a 20ga. Haven't tried to shoot one further.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.