100% unbiased honest input on Leupold VX6-HD VS Zeiss Conquest V4

Glad you asked. I've always been a Leupold fan but theyve changed their standard reticle and it's MUCH too thick. I like the glass but, at this point I'd do Zeiss or, as my first choice, Nightforce.

Last edited:
I have both the leupold and the zeiss. Both have very similar glass. Both track pretty good. The zeiss doesn't have the locking turret but I have a little more faith in it's tracking. Between the two, of I were going to dial much I would choose the zeiss. If I didn't plan to dial much I'd still choose the zeiss because it has better reticle options for hold over. All that said, I have a vortex LHT 3-15 and it's better than both. Locking turret and better crisper glass.

As usual the OP lists two scopes to compare and here come the other brand recommendations. Claiming you're going to drag your rifle behind a truck for half a mile and still hold zero is a bold claim. I have three NXS and with as good as they are dare I say nothing is surviving a drag down the road as they have lost zero when the rifle came loose in the trunk of my patrol car. So there goes that idea.

Several of my friends are due hard Zeiss fans and due to my occupation I have been steering more towards leupolds as of late. I can tell you for a purely long range shooting optic there are probably better options out there than the Vx6. But between the Vx6 and v4 I don't see much of a comparison. Price wise if you wanted to level then playing field it would be Vx5 vs v5 and in that case I still lean towards the vx5. Glass that's out of its price range, very light weight design, and the tracking has never been a problem for me in (5) vx5 and (3) vx6 respectably. I've killed deer with them between 3 and 1118 yards and shot steel further than that. For a hunting optic to my taste the vx6 hd is just about perfect.

If you truly want a scope to hold zero...

US OPTICS

LITERALLY MAKE NIGHTFORCD LOOK MEDIOCRE AND AVERAGE FOR BAD SITUATIONS....

HAMMERS, PRYBARS, AND CLUBS ARE ALTERNATE USES FOR US OPTICS SCOPES....

SERIOUSLY

SEEN IT

THEY ARE TRULY THE TOIGHEST BAR NONE

I totally understand budget. I've also learned over the years I'm not very good at cutting costs and corners It always seems to bite me in the ***. I would save a little bit more and buy exactly what I wanted and I'm a Night Force guy.
The new NX8 is a lot lighter than the NXS or the ATACR or you could jump into the SHV line.

I've had 3 of the zeiss. Great glass but only one of the 3 had turrets that worked correctly. I've had 4 leupolds. A vx3, VX6HD, and a current fii 4x28 on a 454 Casull, and a vxfreedom I put on a grandsons rifle. It was the best and only reliable one. I must have a leupold curse or something. I'll not be using leupold again. Of the two brands I would go with the zeiss. If it were me I would go with a used Nightforce or one of their SHV line in keeping with your budget.

Glad you asked. I've always been a Leupold fan but theyve changed their standard reticle and it's MUCH too thick. I like the glass but, at this point I'd do Zeiss or, as my first choice, Nightforce.
The Zeiss reticles are much thicker than the leupy's. I'm not knocking them as I run vx6's and V6's and shoot them the same amount.

I've had 3 of the zeiss. Great glass but only one of the 3 had turrets that worked correctly. I've had 4 leupolds. A vx3, VX6HD, and a current fii 4x28 on a 454 Casull, and a vxfreedom I put on a grandsons rifle. It was the best and only reliable one. I must have a leupold curse or something. I'll not be using leupold again. Of the two brands I would go with the zeiss. If it were me I would go with a used Nightforce or one of their SHV line in keeping with your budget.
And I won't buy Leupold again either. They think they're in the same class as Zeus and Nightforce by allowing only certain people to sell them. Needless to say, they aren't even close! In your budget I'd have to look really hard at the Nightforce SHV series.

I searched for about 9 months and ended up with those two. I love both brands, but the glass in the V6 was clearer and brighter. We went outside of Cabelas for about 5 minutes of last light. Full disclosure, I had the 50mm Leupy over the 44mm Z4. Having said that, I love the 3x18 option here in the Midwest woods, and out west deer, and the Leupy was lighter in weight, which was also a requirement for me as I put it on a CA Ridgeline in 6.5 PRC for HUNTING. I have been shooting all summer now, and no issues of tracking or zero return at all with this V6. I found a one year old one owner for just $1250 on Ebay, and incredible bargain for that scope! I have my CDS dials being made as I speak. Good luck.

I have both scopes. I have the Leupold on 6.5 Creed and the Zeiss on 6.5 Grendel (AR). I like them both I think the glass on the Leupold is clearer to me I prefer the turret on the zeiss. I dont think you would be horribly wrong going either way. My suggestion go somewhere where you can compare them side by side and chose.

I wish Zeiss had larger turrets and a zero stop. I was buying nothing but zeiss scopes for years then on a whim I bought the leupold and i am happy with it.

I have both scopes. I have the Leupold on 6.5 Creed and the Zeiss on 6.5 Grendel (AR). I like them both I think the glass on the Leupold is clearer to me I prefer the turret on the zeiss. I dont think you would be horribly wrong going either way. My suggestion go somewhere where you can compare them side by side and chose.

I wish Zeiss had larger turrets and a zero stop. I was buying nothing but zeiss scopes for years then on a whim I bought the leupold and i am happy with it.
The V4 does have a zero stop...one of the best

The V4 does have a zero stop...one of the best
Whoops you are correct. I have 13 Zeiss scopes all the way back to a early 80's 3X9. I was mistaken, I must of been thinking of my older scopes. I saw your post and went and grabbed my AR with the 4-16 on it to confirm. I do wish the turrets were larger diameter tho.

Been looking at the Zeiss V4 and V6 also. Have an older "USA Assembled" Conquest that has worked flawlessly.
I noticed this Youtube vid from TiborasaurusRex. He had a discussion with Zeiss -- Seems the V6 uses the same turret system as the extremely reliable S@B scopes. They are actually made in the same factory AND have Schott through and through. Here's the review. Pretty interesting...