100 clicks

Last edited:
I agree with Long - 800 is the beginning of the tough stuff.
It separates the good shots from the great shooters. Wind, elevation, and other environmental conditions really come into play. Practice is critical.

Originally Posted by zookman
what is long to u?
"Long" range to me is any time you are challenged to consistently put your first cold bore shot and 4 more follow-ups for group in the 10 ring or kill zone.

It could be 50 feet with a pistol or 20 miles with a Howitzer.

Richard, I appreciate your honest answers in trying to help Greg. I am glad someone took the time to help me get started rather than flaming right away, whether I spoke in text lingo or not...

Greg, how do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice practice practice. Eventually, practice will become moot and the need for better equipment (handloads) will show it's ugly head.

Don't just shoot when it's dead calm out. Shoot when it's windy and write down your results. Shoot when it's hot and when it's cold and write everything down including a little picture of what your target looks like for each and every group. Then, realize that group could be much smaller with hand loads. It is not uncommon to push 180g Bergers to 2850-2900 with properly developed 7 Rem Mag handloads.

A ballistics program has been recommended several times now. Use that information. JBM Ballistics is a good free web- based program that you can plug your numbers into. Chances are someone at the range will have a chrono eventually while you and buddies are shooting and they will shoot your gun and loads over it for you to get some readings. I shot a guys 243 over mine the other day to get speeds of his handloads. Don't expect to shoot over his chronograph though, let him do it. Most guys are totally willing to talk guns and help out. Plug your findings into the ballistics program and it tells you MOA, drop, windage, and everything else you wanted to know at whatever distance you want to know it.

Then shoot some more and have fun. :Dgun)

Some other ammo to give a whirl if you can find it, check out Hornady Superformance w/ the 162 SST. That will be a killer at long range for sure.

Tank

I've seen some really good results from Superformance. Single digit ES on 5 shots and .5" @100yds.

So, I won't say that factory ammo will never be good for long range.

I just don't have enough data points to support that assertion statistically. If you handload, you have more control/verification of the quality and consistency and can fine tune to your rifle.

I've seen some really good results from Superformance. Single digit ES on 5 shots and .5" @100yds.

So, I won't say that factory ammo will never be good for long range.

I just don't have enough data points to support that assertion statistically. If you handload, you have more control/verification of the quality and consistency and can fine tune to your rifle.

Oh I agree with you totally. This ammo has been getting some good reviews though. They also have superformance match ammo too.

Tank

So so results. First 5shot group@ 620yds only 2 moa ! 3 way off! next shot group 3@moa two. @.50 inch other two way off. 150 corelokts shot better that the only ones I've shot in this gun till now ! Post pic when I got home
utf-8BSU1HMDE5MzAuanBn.jpg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.