100 clicks

Your post is ______.

A: A joke
B: A mockery of another specific member's posts
C: Serious

Which is it?

I have leupold vxL. Varmit reticle its dead on on all reticles only 600yds so was just wanting to dial out to 1000. Its factory ammo

I don't want to sound smart but your question is pretty vague. It's kind of like asking "do you think my truck will get 15 mpg with medium grade gas" There's no way I (or we) can help unless we know the caliber/velocity and things like that.
Give us your set up and I think you'll be able to get some answers

Energy...3221??????? You can not figure dorps bassed on energy.....we need velocity, bullet (which you gave), and zero distance. Enviornmemtal info would also help.

We also need to know your intendid use.

Now,...... Rem 150 gr Core Loc PSP...velocity 2890 (2781 foot pounds...where you got 3221 from is beond me) as per Sierra I6.

Now, 100 clicks is 25 moa.

With a 300 yard zero, you need 149 clicks (37.2 moa)

With a 100 yard zero, you need 164 clicks ( 41.1 moa).

Your only choice to hit anything at 1000 yards is to dial up all the way and hold over for the rest. Remaining energy will be around 360 foot pounds.

Or change your setup.....20 moa scope bases are a good start.

Now if you are just plinking rocks, paper, steel, ect....work hard and have fun.

If you plan on hunting with this setup, STAY THE HELL HOME!!!!

Just my opinion, of course.

Ok.....recalculated at 3110 fps.

100 yard zero......34.4 moa.

300 yard zero....31.3. moa.

So no, you can not get there from here without a change,

You run out of scope at around 900.

Now, you say targets @ 1000...then thats a big 10-4.....have a blast!!!!BUT...your bullets may well be tumbling by then...I show a velocity of 1100fps at 1K...well into the "transonic zone" !! Most bullets start to do crazy things below 1300 fps.

You would benifit a bunch by swithching to more long range friendly ammo. Or, better yet....start hand loading. If you are serious about LR shooting it will be cheaper in the long run...and brings a bunch of LR specialty bullets into play...like the 168 and 180 gr Bergers and JLK's.

Now, you say 3/4 moa at 600...no problem killing a deer that far. I would say, no problem HITTING a dear that far.....That REM bullet bleads off velosity and energy like crazy....I show below 1000 foot pounds at 600. Coventional wiszdom says 1000 and up for deer. Now, quite frankly, I am not much for conventonal wizdom..... I figure that the 1000 pound figure is more of a guide line. ... BUT.....at around 1600 fps, you run the risk of your bullet not opening up......which I think is a serious problem.

Last edited:
zookman,
To be asking the sort of questions you have been, suggests you are either just learning to hunt long range or never really took it seriously. At any rate, no matter what and how many questions the boys on this forum answer and even if you applied that knowledge, you still won't be able to hit the deer at long ranges. There are so many things that apply to shooting accurately at those ranges that it requires you to do some research and learn.

No matter what you may be told, 'guesstimate' or even learn you will not be able to simply click your scope from a 600 yard zero and hit a deer at 1,000 yards. To attempt to do so...you may as well be ****ing in the wind.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I'm just getting started n would never try n shoot a deer @ 1000. I am trying to learn ! Ask ? N read n practice ! So far hitting 600. Very good! been working on form n trigger control . Reading wind ! I will b getting into hand loads soon

if you applied that knowledge, you still won't be able to hit the deer at long ranges. im the type if u say i cant i will prove U wrong!!! im shooting sub moa @600yds! I consider that long n will practice out further ! Y DO U SAY I WONT BEABLE TO HIT A DEER @ LONG RANGES what is long to u?

4x4 i looked up my scope on leupolds website it says ele adj range moa 90 45 up 45 down im guessing? that should b enough to get me there ?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts