100 Ballistic tip at 3400fps for deer

ZRT1000

Heading to kansas this Dec. for whitetail and was thinking of taking my 264 win mag.. i had 5 120gr x bullets loaded to try from awhile back, I tried them and they are all over.. I was thinking of trying 100gr BT. I am not sure if they are to light.. Anybody try them on deer at 3400fps ? .. Thanks

Ballistic tips at that speed may be a problem. I have had BT's in my 25-06 "blow up" on a regular basis. I would suggest trying a 130-140 gr bullet. I killed my sheep, antelope and deer all w/ Berger 140's in my 6.5-06. They are running just over 3000 FPS. 4 shots and 3 animals. 100 to 563 yards.
I hear good things about the Swift Scirocco's. Can be a little finicky to work up loads. Lots of folks like the Accubonds in the .26 caliber. My taxidermist went to Africa this year w/ a 6.5. He tells me he killed 31 animals w/ the AB's including 4 kudu and 4 gemsbuck. All 1 shot kills at 300-600 yards. So he is sold on them. If you go to the BT's use as heavy for caliber as you can get. Good luck on your hunt. Bruce

I'd advise against the 100 Gr BT's at 3400 fps. Best case they make a terrible mess and worst case they blow up and you lose a trophy. The 130 Gr Nos AB and the 129 Gr Horn IB work well for me.

I was worried that the bt's would not hold up..The AB's only come in 140's. I am going to try hornady 130 interbonds .. thanks

Just got back from Nebraska and we shot all our deer with Nosler Accubond bullets. MY son and I shot our deer with 140 Accubonds out of 280 Rem rifles. My friend shot his with 130 Accubond out of a 260 Rem.. Another friend shot his with a 130 Accubond out of his 270 Win.. I hand loaded all the rounds that we used. In my opinion the Accubond is one great deer bullet. The 129 Interbond would also work out of your gun, but I would go with a 130 Accubond.

From my experience I would not use the BT at 3400 ft/sec to shot deer. It would make a good varmint bullet!

they make a 140gr ballistip tip, a 130 an 140 gr accubond and hornady makes a 129 and 140 sst...i have 3 264's and love them, i only have personal experience with the 130 accubombs on game animals and it works quite well...but ive had mixed experiences as far as meat damage...sometimes they make a mess and sometimes they dont...i really wanna try the 127gr barnes lrx

I ordered the 130 AB and try them.. One thing about the 264 bothers me. In the nosler book you can get 2950fps out of a 270 win with up to 10gr less powder than it takes a 264win to get a 100fps faster. What are the benifits of the 264 ? and why only 100fps with 10grs of powder ? ..Thanks

I ordered the 130 AB and try them.. One thing about the 264 bothers me. In the nosler book you can get 2950fps out of a 270 win with up to 10gr less powder than it takes a 264win to get a 100fps faster. What are the benifits of the 264 ? and why only 100fps with 10grs of powder ? ..Thanks
same with the 280 and 7mag. My 7rem is not a heck of a lot faster with a given bullet than the 280. It is a diminishing returns thing. You simply have to step up A LOT to get that much more benefit from the bigger case. That said, I don't have many standard cals. because the mags. ARE faster, if only be 100 or 200 fps. Use slower powders for the cal. and stay on the heavier bullet side and you will get more gain from your mag. rifle.
P.s., I have 2 sporter 270's with 22" tubes and they will do 3K fps with 130's accurately and within book charges. You should be able to hit 3100-3200 fps with rl25 or retumbo in the 264 with your 130's. Hodgdon data tops at 67.5 gr at 3171 fps with retumbo and a 129 hdy. Nos data has the 130 a-bond at either 61.0 of rl22 or 7828 for about 3150 fps. I don't see rl25 data right now but I'm sure some could be scrounged up for you if you need it.

ive used 100 grain bts in the 257 wby with great success on crop damage deer. Ive also shot a truck load of them with my 264 using 120 bts. I chuckle at guys that claim they tear up to much meat. Easy answer is dont shoot them in the meat! Any high velocity rifle round shot into a deers shoulder is going to destroy those shoulders. Shoot them behind the shoulder and all your going to tear up is ribs. Youll get guys that have shot one or two deer with a bt and hit them in the shoulder and say there meat was ruined and will tell you you need to use a premium bullet. Ive seen barnes bullets totaly destroy the whole front of a deer. Youll also here many tails of bullet blow up and lost deer. Now tell me how you could possibly know that a bullet blew up if you didnt recover the deer. Most of it is excuses for pour shooting. Put a bt in the boiler room of ANY deer and youll be eating venision for breakfast. this comes for shooting well over a 100 deer with bts and ill add that you can throw seirra bullets right in there too.

I've shot a lot of deer with the 85 grain combined technology ballistic silvertip with a muzzle velocity of 3500 fps from a 25-06. This bullet hits deer like a lightning bolt and I bet the 100 NBT at 3400 fps would also.

This bullet exits more times than not and when the angle is more quartering we measure 12-15" of penetration. We even published a paper documenting remote brain hemorrhaging from hits to the chest with this bullet:

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a554690.pdf

Out of over 100 deer shot with ballistic tips of various calibers and weights, we had a few that had appeared to "blow up" on impact. However, after more careful investigation, we always found that the bullet had hit an intermediate barrier (tree branch, 2x6, etc. en route to the deer and had fragmented on the intermediate barrier.

Well I got the 130 AB's but will not have time to play with them till I get back from KS so i will take the 300wsm and a 25/06 .. My nosler book does not have a info on the 130 and I like the speed and have the powder for the 7828 .. Do you have the whole recipe ? ..Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.