10 year old takes first deer.

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by lee31, Oct 8, 2018.

1. lee31

lee31 Well-Known Member

This past weekend was the Wisconsin youth deer hunt. I took my buddy's 10 year old son. I let him use my Remington 700 classic 6.5x55 Swede. Loaded up with the new 130 grain Sierra Gamechanger.
    Saturday afternoon we had a big mature doe come out. I got him set up ranged the doe at 310 yards. Gave him a few pointers and told him to squeeze one off. I was watching through my binoculars. As soon as the trigger broke the doe was on the ground.
    Probably one of fastest kills I've ever witnessed. The Sierra Gamechanger went through bouts of her shoulders stopping just inside of her offside hide. Overall I was fairly impressed with the bullet. Woulda liked to see a bigger enterance hole. But she was DRT.
    Also I was very impressed with my buddy's kid as he doesn't handle rifles very often. To make a awesome shot like that was pretty impressive.
    Even though 310 isn't much to us. I told him that's farther than lots of adults have ever shot.

Attached Files:

Deputy819, Tyler Kee, Vortex! and 8 others like this.
  2. memtb

memtb Well-Known Member

Congratulations to the young man! And, you did great, by helping him out! memtb

3. Weatherby Fan

Weatherby Fan Well-Known Member

Great work on the shot young fella, Congrats
    WF

4. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

Excellent, another lifelong convert is born! Congrats to all.

5. cheechin

cheechin Well-Known Member

Congrats to him. very Nice.

6. 26Reload

26Reload Well-Known Member

I believe the tradition is to give the rifle to the kid since he took his first deer with it.....but on the good side...leaves room in the gun room for another...ha

ka30270, RockyMtnMT and lee31 like this.
  7. BEEMAN

BEEMAN Well-Known Member

Good shooting. I thought the game changer might hold together more at that distance.