1" vs. 30mm

BeauDog

Hey guys, I am a newbie here and am glad that I've found the website. I have recently purchased the Model 70 Laredo in .300 Win Mag and I am now shopping for a scope. My question is this: Is there enough minutes of elevation in a typical 1" scope to reach out to 900 yards for target shooting? Specifically does anyone have or know if the Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 with a 1" tube can be turned high enough?

Before anyone tells me I have to work my way up to 900 yards, I have already done it. The only problem is that it was with my bro-in-law's .300 Win Mag and I wanted my own. I'm confident in that my new rifle and cartridge will do exactly what I want and I just don't want to run out of minutes at say 750 yards if I buy the Zeiss.

My bro-in-law's .300 has a Vortex 30mm scope, but I am partial to the Zeiss and Leupold as I already have each of them on other Model 70s. Also, if anyone can tell me if a Leupold VX-III has enough minutes in a 1" tube to get to 900 yards I would appreciate that info.

Thanks in advance to anyone that has any advice.

The zeiss is going to have better glass (better optically), and with a canted base will reach as far as you need it to. Get a 20 moa base and get after it if you like the zeiss.

beudog,
if you dont have enough elevation adjustment with your prefered scope, just get a canted base, or use Burris Z rings with the MOA inserts to get what you need.
I prefer 30mm scopes, but your 1" scope will work fine if setup as mentioned above.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.