1" vs. 30mm

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by BeauDog, Feb 16, 2011.

1. BeauDog

BeauDog New Member

Hey guys, I am a newbie here and am glad that I've found the website. I have recently purchased the Model 70 Laredo in .300 Win Mag and I am now shopping for a scope. My question is this: Is there enough minutes of elevation in a typical 1" scope to reach out to 900 yards for target shooting? Specifically does anyone have or know if the Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 with a 1" tube can be turned high enough?

Before anyone tells me I have to work my way up to 900 yards, I have already done it. The only problem is that it was with my bro-in-law's .300 Win Mag and I wanted my own. I'm confident in that my new rifle and cartridge will do exactly what I want and I just don't want to run out of minutes at say 750 yards if I buy the Zeiss.

My bro-in-law's .300 has a Vortex 30mm scope, but I am partial to the Zeiss and Leupold as I already have each of them on other Model 70s. Also, if anyone can tell me if a Leupold VX-III has enough minutes in a 1" tube to get to 900 yards I would appreciate that info.

Thanks in advance to anyone that has any advice.

2. KRP

KRP Well-Known Member

Yes...if set up appropriately.

3. Booney

Booney Well-Known Member

My thought is when in doubt rig it stout. So I would go with the 30mm do it right the first time and you wont have anything to regret.

4. BlackSS

BlackSS Well-Known Member

The zeiss is going to have better glass (better optically), and with a canted base will reach as far as you need it to. Get a 20 moa base and get after it if you like the zeiss.

5. trueblue

trueblue Well-Known Member

beudog,
    if you dont have enough elevation adjustment with your prefered scope, just get a canted base, or use Burris Z rings with the MOA inserts to get what you need.
    I prefer 30mm scopes, but your 1" scope will work fine if setup as mentioned above.

6. rscott5028

rscott5028 Well-Known Member

Get a 20 MOA picatinny rail from EGW for your scope base and you'll be fine.