#1 shooting tip

Or your ammo on your loading bench!
6B99FBF7-8771-4A94-895D-411400F652AB.jpegShoot the first shot at someone else's target switch to staball 6.5 in 6mm creedmoor 200 yards 105 Berger hybrid 41.0 staball 6.5

Interested to see what everyone's number one tip to shooting groups? Looking for very specific pointers or your number one thing to do when shooting. let's keep it shooting groups at 100-1200 yrds with a capable hunting rifle. Go!!
There is a check list that I use containing seven items.
Some I perform in my mind, others before I even consider taking any shot.
They are the following and apply just as much whether I'm punching paper, or trying to fill a permit / tag.

1) Know your rifle like you know your right , or left hand !
2) Know your target and what lies beyond before you brake that shot.
3) Work with your scope until you can dial in Mil Dot, or MOA reticles accurately at any known distance .
(being able to mentally perform calculations on the fly)
4) Become proficient at using a range finder.
5) Learn how to read as well as predict the wind and what it is doing at target range.
6) Shoot the same ammunition all the time either when target shooting or hunting , learning to shoot it extremely accurately. ( keep using the same ammunition at the range and while hunting until you can predictably know said bullets performance and attributes)
7) Slow your breathing and mentally calm yourself down before your shot.
8) Maintain a healthy, stable and demeanor and do not ever rush your shot.

I know that this is a rehash of what most of us are aware of, but do you subscribe to all of the listed items religiously? ( #2 I believe is the one item that you absolutely must adhere to )
My thoughts.

Last edited:
Women are some of the best shooters...why?....because they usually don't get too excited. They relax to the point of almost sleep. Men have a hard time with that. They seem to be more competitive and try too hard to shoot well, and force things. So, relax, get in good position (when possible in field conditions), do not get in a hurry even if the game (animal)..moves out....
I thought it was because they will listen to instructions.

My grandmother could have given Annie Oakley a solid run for her money, but wasn't too interested in shooting because it wasn't much of a challenge for her.

I've long thought that due to women's generally slower metabolism their relaxed heart rate is lower than most men's, which makes them inherently better shots. At least that has been my casual observation.

There are a lot of things in life that the harder you try to do it, the worse your performance will be. Relax, even in a comp the idea is to enjoy it, otherwise why are you doing it?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.