#1 shooting tip

With regard to NPA here's a tip that I recently learned from a very experienced instructor USMC scout sniper and Hunter. Field shooting is not like pure bench shooting. So zeroing and shooting groups should simulate best case scenario shooting positions. Prone being the most stable, is where he zeros. Natural point of aim by his definition is where the rifle come to rest at the respiratory pause post exhale. The rifle will move Naturally while breathing a we should not fight or restrict that movement. Basically, the sight picture appears to shift the Point of aim/impact down below the intended zero while inhaling and as we exhale the rifle settle back to the NPA and the reticle zero rises back up to the intended POI. He posted a video of this and my ability to consistently shoot groups has improved considerably. All my shooting has by Establishing a solid NPA and allowing the reticle to move with my breathing and trusting it to come back to the NPA when it's time to break the shot. In my opinion it is much easier and more natural than trying to hold the rifle on the zero group throughout the breathing process, which creates tension that hinders accuracy.

I'm as capable of forgettin stuff as the next human bring, but forgetting my
" Bolt " would have meant forgetting my entire rifle. That, I've never done. I can't imagine why the hell anyone would ever keep them seperately to begin with. But that's just me.
In my case it happens by cleaning my rifle while it is held in a Tipton gun vise, leaving it there with the bolt out and laying loose on the Tipton. Next time I head to my range I gather all my equipment, throw the rifle in a case and set up my equipment only to discover the bolt is still at the house. I believe that I have only forgotten it once, but it happened. Just a bit of payback for laughing at my friend when he got to the woods without his. :)

Out at the ranch on opening day of deer season I was on the hill top looking for deer when I noticed one of the old farts that hunts the ranch walking about 300 yards way from his truck then back. He did this a number of times witch made me concerned, so I abandoned my post to see if I could help. when I got to him I asked if he lost his teeth or something, his replied that his bolt had fallen out of his his gun between the truck and 300 yards over that way. I helped him for at least an hour before we both gave up,he went home to get another and I went back to hunting. What he came back to the ranch with was the bolt to his gun that he left home. 😉
Yes,, I guess he's earnt that nick name,,,,,Hmmmm old fart, i like it.😂

I'm as capable of forgettin stuff as the next human bring, but forgetting my
" Bolt " would have meant forgetting my entire rifle. That, I've never done. I can't imagine why the hell anyone would ever keep them seperately to begin with. But that's just me.

Actually, I never have.....just a feeble attempt at humor! :eek: But, if it were to "ever" happen.....it's still only 35 yards to the house!;) memtb

Interested to see what everyone's number one tip to shooting groups? Looking for very specific pointers or your number one thing to do when shooting. let's keep it shooting groups at 100-1200 yrds with a capable hunting rifle. Go!!

I have a hard time getting my thumb next the bolt handle, in fact never could being left handed shooting a right handed bolt. Dry firing helps a bunch, and noting where you end up dry firing. If I am hunting I generally don't loose sight picture, and have another round in the chamber withing 10 yards if it didn't drop in it's track. Lining up on an additional shot if needed. A lighten trigger pull makes a lot of different.
SSS

Dry fire pactice. You can do it in your living room. Work on body position, trigger control, follow through, all of it.
Did that with my Boys when they started hunting by cutting out pictures of animals out of hunting magazines and pasted them to a board. They dry fired on these images until they were blue in the face. All their hunts were one shot kills including a doe at 327yds. He was 10 at the time!

Just like reloading. Find a more experienced mentor to watch and offer a critique of your form and give you pointers. What you think you are doing and what is really going on may be very different. Plus there are a number of true pearls of knowledge in the above posts, all are from very experienced shooters. If it seems like there are too many to remember it only means you need to practice more. They will become second nature with repetition. To get really exceptional accuracy you have to go through your checklist for "every" shot. Having your mentor load your rifle behind your back for you and let you set it up again for each shot will help build that memory and occasionally he can leave the chamber empty. That can be very educational!

Not the most important thing but those have already been well covered...I'd add on some dry fire drills where someone else either loads or does not load a cartridge in before you shoot, you don't know which. Reveals how flinchy you really are in a hurry. Humbling and helpful.
On a similar note I've found it very helpful to continue shooting and practicing with a .22lr more than anything else.

With regard to NPA here's a tip that I recently learned from a very experienced instructor USMC scout sniper and Hunter. Field shooting is not like pure bench shooting. So zeroing and shooting groups should simulate best case scenario shooting positions. Prone being the most stable, is where he zeros. Natural point of aim by his definition is where the rifle come to rest at the respiratory pause post exhale. The rifle will move Naturally while breathing a we should not fight or restrict that movement. Basically, the sight picture appears to shift the Point of aim/impact down below the intended zero while inhaling and as we exhale the rifle settle back to the NPA and the reticle zero rises back up to the intended POI. He posted a video of this and my ability to consistently shoot groups has improved considerably. All my shooting has by Establishing a solid NPA and allowing the reticle to move with my breathing and trusting it to come back to the NPA when it's time to break the shot. In my opinion it is much easier and more natural than trying to hold the rifle on the zero group throughout the breathing process, which creates tension that hinders accuracy.

very good post! I too have found things get better when you stop trying to eliminate or fight against all the "human factors" that affect shooting and learn to work with them instead.

Any link to the video?

Thanks!

Chad

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.