1 More Grandson's first Elk Hunt

royinidaho

Monday my son-in-law and my grandson, 14 yrs, are headed to the high country for what is locally deemed a trophy elk hunt. Grandson has a much sought after trophy bull tag. The zone is limited in tag numbers and there are some big ones there.

We did final rifle checks this evening. His 308 which performed well last season wasn't for squat this evening. Couldn't hit a milk jug at 300.

Settled him behind grandpa's 338 RUM pushing 300 Hybrids @ 2735 and zero'd at 300.

I was impressed with his shooting. I didn't like his form but his shots went center target in a nice very small cluster a 300. He's all grins, his dad is impressed and I'm confident that he will be able to hit what he's shootin' at and hit where he's supposed to hit.

Decided to leave the goats at home. Too much mechanical stuff will be going with us. Pack goats simply will not be needed.

If ya wanna know where we're headed, google map search on Timber Creek Pass, Lemhi Idaho. Go up Sawmill Creek to a wide bare looking parking spot. Follow the switch back road going to the East.

The little circle at the top is the camp spot. Expectations are to fine the bull about 3 miles kinda northwest of that spot.

That's also where I spotted 2 woofs last archery season (2012).

Grandson will be packin' the 338. Me the 270 AM (for woofs). Dad doesn't get to carry a rifle. He did some dumb things in his younger years which severely impacts firearm ownership. However, he is sure coming along in a great way now.

Here's wishing for a great hunt.gun)

Sounds like a blast to me! Knock em Dead guys! I still remember my first elk hunt and deer hunt and my Dad and Gramps were both there. Great Times!

Scot E.

Roy, I know exactly where you are. Had a late deer muzzleloader tag in there several years ago. Saw a ton of elk. Good luck!

Randy

Glad your son is still going. Maybey he would like to take up archery??

Grandson's dad is one heck of an archer. Has several good bulls under his belt.

Gave grandson a decent Browning Compound bow a couple of weeks ago. We'll see if he takes too it.

Am getting pumped. This is only my second full scale bull hunt in decades.

Big weather appears to be coming in from the coast.

Could be interesting.

:)

Good luck to the both of you!

I know there is a wolf pack of about 7 members that will swing along the Lemhi pass area and sometimes down near Bannock pass but that's the opposite side of the valley you'll be on if I remember right.

I checked Google map, look up and wave every now and then so I know ti's you!:D I hope you guys tag a wolf, and a big bull.

Just got back in town to phone svc. or I'd have replied earlier.
Great job getting him going with the RUM Roy!
Best of luck to both of you!!
Can't wait to see the victory pics!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.