1 mile shot

jbubb

I been reading all types of stuff about the "1 mile" shot. I guess there are some out there who have the battery and range to do this. Most of what I read on this forum, like Darrel's 338/416 monster are WAY out of my leage. If I shot a beast like that I think I would be so happy I would want to just be alone for awhile.
grin.gif
But for some people they are drawn to that. I would drive hours and pay just to shot at a 5gal bucket full of water at 1mile. Ofcourse I would need coaching and a spotter! Sounds better than any ride at Hershey park ride I ever took!
grin.gif

Boyd

LOL How much you figuring to eat??

You gonna be at the Harrisburg Show the first weekend??

jbubb

You can get to a mile with a 338 RUM and a 300 Sierra if you push a little hard. Might want to start with something a little bigger than a 5 gallon bucket though. My first ~1700 yard attempts were onto a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood... it has some holes in it now but the "wounds" were not fatal as they missed the "vitals". No close spotter (second person) for me, mine stayed downrange about 80 yards or so back from and off to the side of the backer, we chatted via radio. He WAS IMPRESSED by the power and fact that the round still being supersonic at that distance.

1 mile.. really isn't too difficult once you've tried it a time or 2... I am supprized Dave didn't just tear up his target... or have better results but from a bi-pod it may be a little more difficult...

I tooka 6/284 and made a kill at 1521 yards on a prarie dog. Thats about 270 yards short of a mile. I was shooting a bench type rifle form a portable bench...the hardest thing is reading the conditions all the way there... so instead of making myself go bald any faster than I already am.. I just touched 'em off to see what happened. 6 shots later... success...

I don't think you need real big boomers to do this... the 338's should be a walk in the park.. the BIG 30's should do fine as well... if you can stay supper sonic or just about super sonic you should be able to achieve what your after in one or 2 attemps...

just my .02

Boyd, that's a deal how many value meals can you eat?
grin.gif
lol You are on my way up to my cabin in Clinton co. We go right through Lockhaven collage. Maybe Sometime I will take you up on that deal. Kind of feel bad thou, didn't think there was really any nice places to eat up there that would let you in!
grin.gif
Now I'm really worried if I shoot a big boomer and do well I now it will be right home and to the gun smiths house. I guess I might as well start now? Any body want a nice John boat and new trailer, minkota toller. Can send pics $600. Trailer been in the water "1" time trolling engine same as new.
grin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Boyd
LOL How much you figuring to eat??

You gonna be at the Harrisburg Show the first weekend??

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>For being a little guy,I can pack it away.Wife does'nt cook much.Got a Ruby Tuesdays down here.Yum,Yum
grin.gif
Not sure about the first weekend Dave...Have to wait to see what its doing outside.I will be down sometime tho.... <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Boyd, that's a deal how many value meals can you eat? lol You are on my way up to my cabin in Clinton co. We go right through Lockhaven collage. Maybe Sometime I will take you up on that deal. Kind of feel bad thou, didn't think there was really any nice places to eat up there that would let you in! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>jbubb.I am only about a mile away from the collage.Down by the Piper airport.They have'nt gotten around to kicking me out of Mickey D's yet
grin.gif

Boyd, I am almost in tears! I got my starter rig! Its a win m70 in 300wsm. I know, I know a winchester! But I love them and I got a steal at auction $400 new in box! Now I'm onto saving for a laminated stock like the ones I've seen on some of your guns. Any place you know of have good prices for them? I was thinking of getting the stock I want with the channel for heavy barrel. Just mount and shoot with this barrle for now! Then get the heaver barrel later and swop out? This thing needs trigger help I bet the beast is 8lbs! I'll be at Harrisburg the first Monday hope to see ya there!
grin.gif
grin.gif
P.S. You video that shot and I'll buy ya that drink DEAL!

[ 01-24-2004: Message edited by: jbubb ]

Boyd, where did you pick up your heavy laminated stocks at. Any place around here? I would like to look into getting one and then getting the action bedded in it. I guess I'll have the action trued and the trigger work down. Other than that I will just wait on the other barrle which might be awhile. I shouldn't need a brake. I shoot my father-in-laws 300 win alot no problems. Nice steady push with that. After I gett my Lupy 3x9 tactical on and a nice recoil pad I'll see what she can do. Factory pad is like a "SOLID" piece of rubber! One thought on brakes, you use them on your heavy 300wsm? With these heavy lam. stocks and a heavy barrle this should kick less than 308? Well getting late.
grin.gif

for heavy laminated stock you can get them from

Richard micro fit ( low cost but need finish work ) they have a a heavy bencg with 5 inch forend
Bill Shedanne make nice one

good shooting

DAN TEC

Hi Gents,
In .338 Dia. are there any thoughts that a VLD style 275-285 gr, bullet being driven at a higher speed be better than a say 300 or even a 320-330 gr VLD. Are there any bullets like this in production? I live where the wind blows quite a bit, so wind drift is somthing we have to watch close. Also are any of you using the VihtaVuori 24N41 in the 338/416 Rigby Imp? Thanks,

Another thought on the 1-mile shot, Dave Lauck of D & L Sports was telling me that with the 300 RUM in his MR30 rifle that they were getting regular hits on a 16" (square I think) gong at a mile and had started a club of shooters who hit it.

Hey Guys have we forgotten what Hathcock did in S.E.Asia with 60s' vintage stuff. And he was playing for keeps at that range with a 70 Win in the unfamilar 30-06.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.