.1 mil or .25 moa, which is best for long range precision shooting?

I guess the follow-up for LR would be ...1st FP or 2nd FP and why. My 300RUM sports a Sightron SIII 8-32X56 with the LRMOA reticle in 2nd FP. I REALLY like the set up of the reticle and the fact that the little dot in the middle does not change size through the power range. I do not have to make fast calculations to aquire targets so having a 24 power "sweetspot" doesn't matter on this set-up.......gun)

Hey also guys my millett is 2nd. focal plane an it works great for me cuz I'm running a LRF so is there any actual justification for spending the extra money for a 1st. focal plane?

Read about both and find the one that fits your needs. Use the search at the upper right of page. This topic is worn out over and over. There really is nothing new to say.

I have used and owned both. I now only use SFP, I prefer a reticle that stays thin as the target gets bigger when magnification is increased, for long range work. I dial my shots, and hold over only for follow ups. The SFP will do this just as good or better for me.

Jeff

1 MOA is 1.047" at 100 yards, or 10.47 at 1000. Important distinction when dialing in corrections at long range.
I prefer MOA because my primary target is varmints at long ranges and I want the finer adjustment. I am currently using a FFP S&B with Hollands ART reticle. This reticle is fine enough it still works great on marmots as far as 1400 yards.

Broz is corrrect--don't confuse MOA and inches. Each click on a scope with 0.25 MOA/click, gives you a 0.25 MOA correction (0.25" at 100 yds; 1" at 400 yds).

Tacsniper0888--reread your statement in next to last line: "at 400 each click is one MOA." It is still 0.25 MOA, which is 1" at 400.

when there's a shot opportunity, even when shooting at long distance rocks, my feeble mind will screw up every time when there is the slightest "thinking" regarding Mil reticle and MOA turrets.

If I had a Mil reticle in the spotting scope the rifle scope would be in Mils also. Much more straight forward when calling shots. (no mental math)

Mil units are larger than MOA. The human eye, at least mine, are very good at discerning partial units with either a Mil or MOA reticle. However a standard Mil Dot reticle is difficult to discern in the 0.7 to 0.8 range. Too much thought at a critical time is my problem. Mil dots are usually 0.20 Mils in diameter which makes the edge of dot 0.10 Mils from the whole unit. A half mil steadia makes things a lot better.

Besides all of thata IIRC Mils are a military thing for ranging humans. Hell, I hardly ever shoot humans.:)

I'm with Broz on this one. MOA are simply more straight forward and more effective such as fine tuning drops using clay birds at well beyond 500 yards.

I just invested 160 bucks, after decades of waffling, changing a TMR reticle to a TS-29 to eleminated one step in the thought process of making the shot. Plus I'm now good to a bit beyond 1500 yards without touching the turret. We'll see how I like that....:rolleyes:

Mils are a base 10 unit of measure in the metric system. 1mil is 0.1 meter at 100 meters distance.

MOA coincidentally matches closely to 1 MOA per 100 yards (actually 1.047). 1 MOA is 1 inch at 100yds. This makes it a base 10 system.

So if you range in meters use mil, if you range in yards use MOA. Then it is always a base 10 calculation.

But I don't see how moa could be consistent that way. Because it grows the further out you go. An moa size target at 100 yards is one inch, an moa size target at 1,000 yards is ten inches! I thought one .25 moa click at 100 yards was one quarter of an inch and one .25 moa click at 200 yards was a half inch then one click at 300 is three quarter of an inch per click then at 400 each .25 moa click on the scope in reality moves bullet impact by one whole inch per click and continues growing at a quarter inch per hundred yards??? This is the way I've learned moa system. At 800 each click moves bullet impact by 2" per click and at 1,000 each click moves bullet impact by 2 1/2" per click. Please guys correct me if I'm wrong.
That is correct.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.