1 in 9.25 Twist Capable of Stabalizing 115 DTac's?

Racr350

After reading a few articles recently about what i thought to be a dull LR caliber, I may be interested in playing with a factory version of the 243. The Savage 12 LRP has caught my attention for more than one reason, one being the faster than typical twist rate of the factory barrel. Now the barrel is a 1 in 9.25, and I have a friend who has a custom rig shooting the 115 DTacs with a 1 in 8 twist and has no problem stabilizing these heavy for caliber bullets. Do you think the LRP's 1 in 9.25 barrel is capable of doing the same? I know its a long shot but for me to justify getting a 243, I'd like to be able to shoot the heaviest round possible, I do like the idea of the basically non-existent recoil on a rifle that's capable of 1000yds to mess with all day without getting sore and unsteady. gun)
Thanks in advance for any input! :D

I think that bullet is probably a little heavy. Common theme seems to be to keep it under 100 grains with that twist. I have a factory savage that shoots 95 gr bergers sub MOA first load out of the gate, so it will only get better from here.

243 Win sounds pretty boring, but it is a pretty cool little round once you actually look at it. There's a reason it's been popular for so long.

It won't run the 115's. I played with them in my cut rifled 1-9"tw 243AI and they just won't stabilize. That rifle dotes on the the 105's though, both Amax's and VLD's.

The 9.25 is more than capable of shooting 105's and the 107SMK. I have a 1:10 that will spin 100's with no problem. So as long as you stay with the 107's or less you'll be okay.

Tank

So whats everyone's opinion on Nosler's 105Gr. BTHP Match Ammo? It somehow actually has a higher BC than the 115 DTac's.. (.593 vs .585) And hey if the rifle can stabilize them, then why not use them right!?

i have had several sako 243's( 10 twist). and loaded for a bunch more remingtons. i won a 1000 yard match with a 12 twist hart barrel on a rem 700; shooting Both 88 bergers and 87 horn bthp. they both shoot very small groups in that rifle. for long range, the longer bullets are less affected by the wind. so it makes sense to shoot the longest bullet your gun shoots good. 88, 90 , 95 . most likely your 9 twist won't shoot the 105s.

Seems a bit slow unless it was a very fast/overbore cartridge that may stabilize it but u prob want to stay below 100 gn

I shoot a 243 win Rem 700 with 26 inch barrel and 9.25 twist. I shoot 100's, 105, & 107 It has done some single hole 100 yards and some touching clover leafs at 200 Using @ 46 grains of R-22 or @44 grains of Hodg h100V

My scope has 1/8th inch clicks and you can literally walk the holes across the paper to zero it in.

Mathmatically 105 should be 8.5 to 9. but increased velocity helps with a slower twist.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.