1 in 7.5 Twist 257 Weatherby

I went with a 1-7.25" twist Helix 6 on my 25-284. Still in early load development. Up to 55.5 gr of R26, shoots good with no pressure so far. At Weatherby speeds I'd think a 7.5 twist should be ok for the 131 BJ.

A 1:7.5 twist would be my choice for a 257 Weatherby and stay with heavies. I shoot the 131 Blackjacks in both a 25 CM and 25 PRC using RL26 from 1:7 twist barrels. The two (hunting and competition) CMs run about 3000 fps while the PRC is running 3260. Never had a blackjack fail but I have been told that 3300 is about the limit for the 131 in a 7 twist barrel. We use the 131 for hunting and competition and it has been flawless for both. Took two shots at our 2000 yard target a few days ago just wondering if my BC would hold when really stretched out. Saw no dust so wasn't sure it was even close. Drove down to take a look later that afternoon and both shots hit within 6 inches of each other on a 18" plate. I am ready to sink my 25 CM reamer another .100" and fire form some 260 brass for my hunting CM to see if I can push it a little more. I have no stock in blackjack but it has been a great performer and I order a box of 500 regularly. Would be nice to have 130-140gr Berger EOL, ELD-X, ABLR hunting options. I have some heavy Hammers on my shelf but haven't had time to work up a load. Since I tested the 131 Blackjack I have been all-in on the 1/4 bore.

Your 1:8 twist might not be good for the BJs. They recommend 1:7.5. 1;8 may only be marginally stable
I have been wondering that, but in the website it says 1:8 should work for the mags like 257 weatherby. If I can't get find a good load I will probably drop down to the 121gr Hammers or wait to see where Berger's heavy 25 cal falls once it is released.

On gain-twists barrels - note that gain-twist barrels have been around for many decades. Knowing how competitive shooters are always looking for an extra "edge", and how hardcore hand loaders are always pushing the envelope, if gain-twist offered some notable improvement over a straight-twist barrel, they would be all the rage. They are not, and so they don't.

You want to shoot 100gn - 131gn bullets in your new .25 cal rifle? - get it twisted for 131gn, and then, shoot mono's if the lighter cup-n-core bullets blowup on you.

JMHO
You make a strong point there.

Anyone else test the heavier 128 grain or higher weight bullets out of a 257 Weatherby Mag. I am still waiting on my custom build also with a 1-7.25 twist. Got both 128 grain hammers and 133 grain Berger Elite hunters. Just hard to find any hard info on 257 Weatherby Mag loads. I got a couple loads from Berger but that's about it.

Anyone else test the heavier 128 grain or higher weight bullets out of a 257 Weatherby Mag. I am still waiting on my custom build also with a 1-7.25 twist. Got both 128 grain hammers and 133 grain Berger Elite hunters. Just hard to find any hard info on 257 Weatherby Mag loads. I got a couple loads from Berger but that's about it.
Would you please advise where you acquired the Berger 133s?

I have been wondering that, but in the website it says 1:8 should work for the mags like 257 weatherby. If I can't get find a good load I will probably drop down to the 121gr Hammers or wait to see where Berger's heavy 25 cal falls once it is released.
^^^This!^^^ I went with 1:7" on my . 257 WBTY and hopeful more heavies will follow. 🤣

Copy, thanks!

The current status is out of stock. I have had a few items in their notification list for a while now.

Ed
Yeah just checked myself. Glad I jumped on them when I did. One thing I have found when it comes to notifications, if you do not go back and update monthly it will not keep you notified. So I revisit all these sights monthly and update notifications. In doing so at times I have found projectiles I have been waiting on in stock with out being notified.

Yeah just checked myself. Glad I jumped on them when I did. One thing I have found when it comes to notifications, if you do not go back and update monthly it will not keep you notified. So I revisit all these sights monthly and update notifications. In doing so at times I have found projectiles I have been waiting on in stock with out being notified.
Yeah, it's hard to keep up with all the notifications from various online stores; if I snooze, I lose.

Recent Posts