#1 best tip for new shooters trying to get into the long range game!

Learn how to reduce any movement to the rifle when shooting. From learning how to breath, to how to use a sandbag properly... and practice it.

This s a long thread and I have not read the whole thing.........SO, at the risk of repeating prior suggestions mine is to spend a whole lot of time learning to read wind & mirage through your scope. If you do this through your scope it will also help with your body being used to the shooting position and seeing how much time your eye can stand being in your scope before fatigue sets in....That one makes you appreciate better quality glass and forgiving eye relief........Happy Shooting

Regards
Rick

This pretty much sums it up. Spend more time shooting and less time worrying about your gear.

A $600 rifle chambered for 308 Win and a $300 scope is a great way to get started while giving you lots of options for inexpensive ammo. The 6.5 Creedmoor would be a good second choice for the same reasons.

I shoot and kill about everything with a 308. Nothing to scoff at. I have big bore rifles but I prefer the 308 with 168 Bergers, handloaded and jumped of course. Something about a 7 pound scoped and loaded stick I like.

New shooter and I read all the threads. A lot of valuable knowledge here built from lots of experience and money spent on gear. For a new shooter such as myself, what is the #1 tip to assist in the journey to long range shooting? Thanks in advance.

Don't expect to master it quickly, once you get beyond 600yds life gets complicated. Beyond 1,000 it gets very complicated.

You don't have to spend a boatload to succeed.

Start off with something that will last you many years and many rounds that you can both afford to, and really enjoy shooting. I can't recommend the 6.5's highly enough starting out. With the right bullet if you can hit your target the 6.5's can handle all but the largest and most dangerous game in N. America and most of the rest of the world just fine.

Buy the best glass you can reasonably afford. The most expensive custom rifle is just a very expensive club without good glass. Personally I'm a big fan of the Leupold VX6 series but I also have had fantastic results with the VXIII, VX7, and VXL.

Don't be afraid to buy used, particularly from members here through the classifieds, you can save a hell of a lot of money going that route as people upgrade or decide they don't like the recoil of the big boomers.

Don't get hung up on fad's. We have a tendency here to jump pretty frequently from caliber to caliber, bullet to bullet, scope to scope trying to keep up with the latest fads. That gets very expensive.

If you don't reload, you need to learn. You'll never get the best out of your LR rig shooting factory ammo if it's really a quality rig.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, none of us here were born knowing it all and in some cases you can benefit from many years of trial and error on our parts saving yourself a hell of a lot of time, money, and aggravation.

Jump in, have a ball and welcome.

That load and bullet combo is working for you. Whatever it is write it down, order in bulk.

Move that lovely group up 1 MOA, left .5MOA.

Go hunting.
Thank you sir for the information and sharing your experience. That rifle is zeroed that is POI I get when I have the magnetospeed bayo installed.

Practice, practice practice then when you think you got it figured out practice, some more

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.