1-9 twist 270 stabilize 170 Berger

The Berger site shows that 1-9 twist is marginally stable with my setup. Anyone run the Berger 170 in 1-9? Results?
Sorry Jill has a 270WSM and runs 130s with great results. We have some 140s, but can't remember if we tried them. Man 170gr is going be great if you can get the twist and type of bullet, will have a good BC for sure.
Actually Berger recommends 1:8 twist for their 170gr. A 1:9 is real IFFFY, but I have had rifles and recommended a faster twist and my rifle shot the bullets in hole in one.
Let us know how it works out for you with a 1:9 .Something a lot of us would be interested in for ELK at distance and what you use for powder and velocities.
I just may think about building another 270wsm with a 1:7.5 to use 170gr. All I need is the barrel and could change with components we have.
Thanks for the Idea to make my list of projects longer and more costly!!!

Len & Jill

Last edited:
Most recommendation's that I've seen, SAY 1-8 and 1-8.5 Twist
1-9 is NOT, enough,.. IMO
I'd rather be slightly, OVER Stabilized than, under !
The 1-8.5 DOES IT,.. FINE at, 3,050 FPS, 3,500 Ft Elev and 49 Degrees.

Last edited:
Yep, 1:8" twist for 170g pills.
I just changed out my 270 Weatherby barrel from a 10" twist to a 9" twist, should have gone 8" but my barrel maker can't do a 8" twist .277" barrel yet. Could have waited 12+ months for a 8" twist blank, but I'm not that patient these days.

Cheers.