1/8th or 1/4 clicks

foreign

im looking into scopes for my .223 to shoot bunnies out as far as i can as i get better. hoping to shoot 80gr target bullets. for small targets ot say at 600m are 1/8 needed/better? im looking at the monarch or elite scopes ( probably a monarch since the extras it comes with) but the 6-24 powers all have 1/8 clicks. any thought would be great.cheers

im looking into scopes for my .223 to shoot bunnies out as far as i can as i get better. hoping to shoot 80gr target bullets. for small targets ot say at 600m are 1/8 needed/better? im looking at the monarch or elite scopes ( probably a monarch since the extras it comes with) but the 6-24 powers all have 1/8 clicks. any thought would be great.cheers

Look at the ballistics of your weapon at the distance to be shot. Example : at 600yards
how much does a 1/8 MOA give you as compared to a 1/4 MOA. so if you were to shoot
at 600 yards 1 quarter minute click will move your POI 1 and 1/2 inches and a 1/8Th click should
move your POI 3/4 inches,

At the longer ranges (600 +)I would choose the 1/8 MOA clicks but at less than 300yards the 1/4
MOA clicks should be fine.

J E CUSTOM

My experience with finer adjustments went like this:

Leupold with 1/10moa adjustments...great, about 1" @ 1000 yards.
The turrets are the same and have 60 "clicks" per revolution.
However, that translates into only 6moa per revolution....Holy Crap! That was A LOT of twisting (and getting lost!) and a huge PITA!

Had them changed to 1/4moa M1 turrets.

One of my greatest pleasures was shooting for drop chart at 630 and beyond during a perfect no wind day and being able to see the 1/8th moa adjustments on the targets.

Twas really cool.

Having said that I use that scope, w/mil dot, for hold over. Way too much cranking to use for varying distances beyond about 400 yards with the trajectory of that particular rifle.

For bunnies with the 223 loaded right I'd go with 1/8th clicks.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.