1-8 twist 7mm Rem Mag

RBlevins

So yesterday I finally order a contoured and fluted .284 blank for mysef, been sitting on a Rem 700 LA mag action for awhile. I've always wanted a Sendero and haven't been able to find a factory setup that I thought was a fair price in a long time, so I'm building my own.
I know that my plan is shooting 180-190gr pills in it, my question is how will lighter 140gr loads work out of a 1-8 twist? I'm sitting on a lot of factory 140gr loads.
Thanks

So yesterday I finally order a contoured and fluted .284 blank for mysef, been sitting on a Rem 700 LA mag action for awhile. I've always wanted a Sendero and haven't been able to find a factory setup that I thought was a fair price in a long time, so I'm building my own.
I know that my plan is shooting 180-190gr pills in it, my question is how will lighter 140gr loads work out of a 1-8 twist? I'm sitting on a lot of factory 140gr loads.
Thanks
just fine.. I've been running 140 ab handloads through my 8" twist 7stw for years. My avitar is a buck I brained at 300 yards with the rifle a few years back.

Last edited:
I have two McGowen barrels in 8 twist on 280AI's, each shoot the 140 and 160 grain bullets 1/2 MOA and better. I do find that my loads are about 150fps slower than others runnng the exact same load. I'm not chasing speed, just consistent accuracy, which I have in spades. YMMV

Wish I had thought of this before buying my last 7RM. Went with 8 twist on 280ai build. It opens up a lot more options than the old standard 9.5 twist.
Truthfully, the faster twist really doesn't matter until you have the boiler room to move the 175+ slugs well. It helps with the 7stw/7rum/28 nosler. The 168-175 older style pills still spin just fine in a 9'ish twist and the extra velocity from the lighter pills in smaller chamberings usually makes up for the slight loss in b.c. ...

Thanks
Probably just fine at the velocity levels the rem mag will produce. I would be surprised if you had issues unless your using really thin jacketed bullets or unless your new barrel has very wide lands like some 3 groove barrels can.

I run 11twist .030 FB for120g TTSX & 120g Nosler solid base lead tip, 140g C/T, accubonds & TTSX, 7 STW, and 9T .210 FB for 160-175's, 7 RM, 500 feet elevation. Wyatt's extra length mag box and follower is very practical.

Twist according to your needs, ONLY.

Since I know my needs, I do not have to put the fastest twist made per caliber on my rifle.