1:8" for 300WM: Is this too fast?

Sorry, but this is bugging the heck out of me:) I don't know why you again insist on this being a fad. As stated by several people, it was never a fad, and was in fact the exact opposite of a fad. It was a proven military round that people trusted their life with.

Also, just because something is new does not mean it is a fad.

Here's a definition of Fad: an intense and widely shared enthusiasm for something, especially one that is short-lived and without basis in the object's qualities; a craze.

No one is disputing that they are a proven military round.

How do you know it is never a fad? According to Wikipedia (non-peer-viewed or empirical source) ...

"A fad, trend, or craze is ANY form of COLLECTIVE BEHAVIOR that develops within a CULTURE, a GENERATION or SOCIAL GROUP in which a group of people enthusiastically follow an IMPULSE for a finite period."

"Fads often result from an activity or behavior being PERCEIVED as EMOTIONALLY POPULAR or EXCITING within a PEER GROUP, or being deemed "COOL" as often promoted by SOCIAL NETWORKS. A fad is said to "catch on" when the number of people adopting it begins to increase to the point of being noteworthy. Fads often fade quickly when the perception of novelty is gone."

What is considered short-lived? The 6.5 CM was considered a fad since its inception in 2008. Nearly 12 years later, it remains as a fad according to social group/network and per the definition above. As I previously noted ...

Fads, trends, or craze are a matter of perspective and it is cyclical

Hello all,

I'm eyeing the X-Bolt Stalker LR in 300WM for my hunting rifle. It has a 26" barrel with a 1:8" twist. I'm looking to shoot around the 200g mark with Accubonds. However, I'm curious... is this too fast of a twist for 200s? If not, what's the lightest/heaviest I could shoot without under/over stabilizing
U can't "over stabilize."
1:8 would be good for longer heavier bullets.

I had my 300AX built with a 1-10 back in 2015. I've been kicking myself in the rear ever since for not doing a 1-9 or faster. I really like the 214 hammer but I have nowhere near the twist for it.

Nemo and Falkor use 1-8's in their 300WM ar's

I did select a 1-8.5 for my 300 Raptor just because the velocity it will generate with even the heaviest bullets out. A tamer chambering 1-8 all day. Can stabilize the absolute heaviest rounds with out over spinning the lighter ones (200-215)

Recent Posts