1-7.5 twist for 6.5 creedmoor

TC338

Any problem going with a 7.5 twist in a creedmoor? May be a stupid question but would the faster twist change velocity any?

Tighter twist builds pressure faster but loss of velocity is minimal! If you want to shoot the new 150+ bullets, it may be a good idea.
Probably not going to shoot the 150's, this will be a hunting rifle so I'm planning on running either the 135g Berger classic hunters or the 140-143 eld's over R-26. Berger data shows a max velocity of right at 3000 with the 135/R-26 combo. I'm going to be limited to the 2.8 oal due to my bottom metal and not wanting to run an ai mag set up.

I'd get the faster twist. Best velocity will depend on variables with twist being down toward the bottom of the list.

The faster twist will maintain your options over the life of the rifle-bullets change, interests change, with really no down side in the range your talking.

I agree with all of the above.
Personally though, I don't think the Creed warrants much more than 140-150 grain bullets.
I prefer a fast 130 personally.

I see no down side to the faster twist barrel particularly for a hunting rifle. The faster twist will help with terminal performance and allow you to run more options of bullets.

Technically it should be a slower barrel but probably not enough to be able to tell that the rifle is slower. Probably within the margin of each rifle is a bit different. Some are faster than others. With all the different powders I really doubt that you will notice a lower vel. You might look at a 7" for the heavier bullets but I am with goring3006 that 130g or smaller is right for the Creed.

Good luck with your new rifle.

Steve

The difference in the angle of the rifling between a 7.5" twist and an 8" twist is only about .4°.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.