1-7” or 1-8” twist for F-class build?

MagnumManiac

Hi all,
Am building another F-class rig, not happy with the current formula. No powder to run the 264, so looking at other options.
So, thinking another 6.5mm, not sure on case yet, maybe 6.5GAP4S...or a 7SAUM.
So, which twist is better suited, my current 6.5's are running 1-8" twist, it works and is super consistent, problem is case size I am using and current powder availability.
Cannot get ANY Alliant powders, so maybe the SAUM case isn't a viable option still?
I'm at a loss, can get plenty of bullets...finally. No powders, got the last lb of RETUMBO just before Xmas.
The only rig I have that is stocked up and will last this season is my 6.5x47 using 123gr Scenar, which is not the greatest for 1000 F-class.
Sorry for my ramblings, just completely bewildered as to what I'm going to do.

Cheers.

I'm not a F class shooter but know a few who are. A 8 twist 284 WIn should do what you want. There is a reason the 284 is popular in F class.

For a 7mm any bullet in the 184gr and below go with a 9 twist. A 9 will stabilize a 190 Berger LRH at sealevel/2780 fps but shot better groups in a 8.25tw. For above the length of a 184 hybrid I would just go to an easy to find 8tw; that is what I am going with now for the 190 A-tips/190 LRH and it has worked out very well.

I have a 9.25" twist 7STW, great round but limited due to twist. It's not my F-class rifle, but LR nonetheless. It's on a Sendero switch barrel rig.
I need something in between the 264WM and 6.5x47, but am thinking 7mm, maybe a 7SAUM, not sure about the WSM it appears too much capacity for what I want.
How good is the 6.5GAP4S?

Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.