$1,500 to spend, what to get for a gun

bskusske21

I've got a $1,500 credit at a local big box store. Want to get a new LR hunting rifle. Something that can take down elk and use for longer shots. possibly moose too. Preference is lighter weight, would like a muzzle break but not necessarily needed. thinking at 300 win mag, or similar caliber, maybe 30 nosler? If needed i could also spend a couple more bucks out of pocket but would prefer not to.

What would you get for a gun coming straight from the box. give me your top 3 choices.

Tikka T3X in 300 WSM. Light weight gun that will only run you around $600. Take the extra money and put it towards decent optics and a muzzle break if you want one.

Is the $1500 for the whole package, and if rifle only, do you already have a scope to put on this new rifle? If not, I'd buy the optic with the store credit, as big box store prices on optics are relatively close to what you can find them for online. I'd buy the rifle from an online shop like Bud's or some other comparable site, as the markup isn't quite as high as in the big box retail stores. I haven't used one, but I've held one of the Bergara HMR rifles at a local shop and they felt nice. One of those in a .300WM would fit the bill.

I've got a $1,500 credit at a local big box store. Want to get a new LR hunting rifle. Something that can take down elk and use for longer shots. possibly moose too. Preference is lighter weight, would like a muzzle break but not necessarily needed. thinking at 300 win mag, or similar caliber, maybe 30 nosler? If needed i could also spend a couple more bucks out of pocket but would prefer not to.

What would you get for a gun coming straight from the box. give me your top 3 choices.
.300wm or .300 RUM would be a great choice for your application. Nothing wrong with the 30 NOS but you have a very limited choice when it comes to ammo and brass.

The Montana Rifle Company X2 would be well worth a look as would the Model 70's.

Everyone has their favorites of course but there are a lot of good options out there to look at.

I don't have glass yet for it, I don't target shoot or load my own bullets but i'm ok with buying a little more expensive brass if needed. I'll do some digging around. I wanted to spend about 2k on the whole package or at least thats my goal.

Lots of options if you're looking at 2k all in. 1k gets you a decent scope, especially if it's a used one. For a decent long range performer, the Tikka rifles are a great option. Lightweight for hiking and the market is quickly expanding if you want to swap stocks out. Also the sako A7 long range model, great rifle. If you want a brake on it too, there are many rifles that come equipped, so might as well narrow the choices by that criteria as well.

Yea i was looking at that one. also looking at the christiansen mesa as an option.
Lots of options if you're looking at 2k all in. 1k gets you a decent scope, especially if it's a used one. For a decent long range performer, the Tikka rifles are a great option. Lightweight for hiking and the market is quickly expanding if you want to swap stocks out. Also the sako A7 long range model, great rifle. If you want a brake on it too, there are many rifles that come equipped, so might as well narrow the choices by that criteria as well.

G'day,
I have a Tikka T3x superlite (stainless) in 7mm rem mag with a leupold VX3 and it is a beautiful, well balanced and accurate carry rifle. i would expect the same in .300 win mag with a brake and a VX3. I cant recommend them enough for the money / quality / accuracy.

Tikka T3X in 300 WSM. Light weight gun that will only run you around $600. Take the extra money and put it towards decent optics and a muzzle break if you want one.

I agree with this route. This gun will shoot. That way you have plenty to spend on a good scope. The best most expensive gun in the world isnt worth jack squat with a crappy scope.

Remington 700 Gen 2 in 300 win. Order some ammo from Berger in 215 bergers .Take the rest of the money and get talley rings and a vortex pst 4x16 or 6 x 24 .
This should be great for elk deer and bear and put you on to 1000 yards !
I'm sold , let's go shopping !!

Are you talking about a 5r? If so they are not exactly light.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.