$1,500 to spend, what to get for a gun

Light wasn't a requirement and you're not going to find a whole lot of light sub moa factory rifles on the market.

Light may not be required but always appreciated. And I disagree. At no point in history has the been more production light sub moa rifles on the market. I have a savage axis that will shoot under an inch for crying out loud. The cheap ruger American rifles will shoot an inch or less sometimes. Weatherby has a lot of sub inch offerings.

True Mach 1
But is covers his hunting and long range wants !
8.5 pounds and $ 989.99 at Midway USA with free shipping !

I've owned 2 5r rifles. I burnt the barrel out of one. They shoot very well but at the time you add mounts base a scope and break they get awful heavy. Not to mention a bipod ammo. It's a good hunting gun unless your going to carry it a lot. It's not my choice for a hunting rifle/long range target rifle. It's hard to do both with one gun.

For an optic I would look to the leupold vx5hd or vx6hd 3-15 or 3-18 with your reticle choice, or a ziess v4 4-16 they would be good long range hunting optics and would work good for target shooting too. I would look to the bergara line of hunting rifles that fit your budget.

For an optic I would look to the leupold vx5hd or vx6hd 3-15 or 3-18 with your reticle choice, or a ziess v4 4-16 they would be good long range hunting optics and would work good for target shooting too. I would look to the bergara line of hunting rifles that fit your budget.
I've been through a lot of glass over the years and the VX-6 3-18x50 is really tough to beat at it's price point or for considerably more for that matter.

Ffp or sfp
Mil or Moa
Budget?

I have a vx3 lrp 6.5-20 with impact reticle really like it for hunting. I use mark 4 rings in nearly all my lr rifles.
That's what I would suggest without knowing any of ur preferences
was thinking of trying a ffp, as this gun will be for hunting longer range most likely.
mil or moa doesn't matter to me, i still need to learn the difference
1500 or less

I think the Burris XTRII would be worth a look since your talking long range and ffp.

FFP will increase the price. And truthfully $1500.00 only scratches the surface
on upper end scopes..Honestly when I'm scope shopping 3 grand is a more realistic
number. Spend at least as much on the scope and mount as your rifle cost!
Good scope on a cheap rifle works better than a good rifle with a cheap scope!
If it were me rather than settling I would tuck my 1500 away and save for another year.
Then buy exactly what you want with out compromising on anything!

Last edited:
Tell that to guys running NF..SB..Kahles..US Optics..and several others!
So if you are going on a hunt that costs $15.000.00 .You're going to take your Tasco?

Last edited:
So if you are going on a hunt that costs $15.000.00 .You're going to take your Tasco?

Who said anything about a Tasco?

It's just some of us have been around long enough and used enough scopes to realize it's not a d*ck measuring contest like others think it is.

A $15,000 hunt for what? There's $50,000 hunts that open sights or a 1-4 scope that costs $500 could be used on...so what's your point?

I have...Many times. Then, when I pulled out an optic that costs half, or less, they can't tell me how the top-tier scope is worth 2x-4x as much... First they exclaim the glass is better, then they look through the cheaper scope... Then the turrets are more solid, then they turn the knobs... Then finally they claim the warranty, only to find they both have a lifetime warranty... Then they usually have nothing to comeback with other than "Because it's a _________ (brand)."

I'm not hating on expensive optics because I can't afford them...I used to sell them at the gun store, and have shot through all the major brands. The super high-end scopes are nice, but having shot through them, and compared them side-by-side, I honestly can't see where they're worth that much more than most $1,000-$1,500 scopes.

I run Kahles and Zeiss on my main hunting rifles, but I also own optics that cost significantly less for target shooting. For the money, it's hard to beat the Vortex HST scopes for target shooting...Same glass and everything as the $1,000 PST, but it's SFP and doesn't have an illuminated reticle. If you have $1,200 to spend, the Zeiss V4 is an excellent option for a hunting scope. If you're looking for a good cheap optic for target shooting, the SWFA SS scopes are great. They're not top-tier glass, but they're super nice for the money, track true, and they're built like tanks.

Once again, this is just my opinion...And it's only worth what you want it to be.

"I run Kahles and Zeiss on my main hunting rifles"
You waver some..You say that the lower priced scopes are just as good and yet you run top end on your personal rifles?
Do as I say..Not as I do?

"I run Kahles and Zeiss on my main hunting rifles"
You waver some..You say that the lower priced scopes are just as good and yet you run top end on your personal rifles?
Do as I say..Not as I do?
No. They're not top-end model scopes of their respective brands. I have the Kahles Helia KX from a trade I made with a friend, and the Zeiss scopes are Conquests. So, want to backup and punt?

You ever looked through a Diavari and an upper-end Conquest? You can't hardly tell the difference with the naked eye. The Diavari is slightly clearer...But not enough to justify 3x the cost, IMO.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.