$1,500 to spend, what to get for a gun

True Mach 1
But is covers his hunting and long range wants !
8.5 pounds and $ 989.99 at Midway USA with free shipping !

I've got a $1,500 credit at a local big box store. Want to get a new LR hunting rifle. Something that can take down elk and use for longer shots. possibly moose too. Preference is lighter weight, would like a muzzle break but not necessarily needed. thinking at 300 win mag, or similar caliber, maybe 30 nosler? If needed i could also spend a couple more bucks out of pocket but would prefer not to.

What would you get for a gun coming straight from the box. give me your top 3 choices.
It will need a better trigger (Timney or Trigger Tech), but you're only going to be in for just slightly more than HALF of your rifle budget. Which will leave you over $1,000 for a good scope, rings, and a good 20MOA base. I recommend a Zeiss Conquest V4 6-24x50 #91 reticle, with Seekins Precision low rings, and an EGW HD 20MOA base. That setups should fall right inside your total budget, and give you one hell of a target and hunting rifle. :cool:

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/42393/Remington+Firearms+85505+700+5-R+Bolt+300+Winchester+Magnum+26+3+1+Synthetic+H

It will need a better trigger (Timney or Trigger Tech), but you're only going to be in for just slightly more than HALF of your rifle budget. Which will leave you over $1,000 for a good scope, rings, and a good 20MOA base. I recommend a Zeiss Conquest V4 6-24x50 #91 reticle, with Seekins Precision low rings, and an EGW HD 20MOA base. That setups should fall right inside your total budget, and give you one hell of a target and hunting rifle. :cool:

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/42393/Remington+Firearms+85505+700+5-R+Bolt+300+Winchester+Magnum+26+3+1+Synthetic+H
You don't technically have to swap the trigger (but you should- it sucks). The attached target pics are from my 5r Gen II in .300winmag during barrel break in. Rifle was bone stock from the factory with factory Nosler Trophy Grade 180gr Accubond ammo. Bone stock meaning it also still had the xmark pro trigger installed.

Since shooting these, I have added a Magpul DBM and a Jewell trigger...haven't shot it yet though so no "after" pics. Also running steel base and rings, and a Gen 1 Razor HD 5-20x50. It weighs in just shy of 13 pounds. Not light, but certainly not heavy...and only slightly more than your package budget.

Attachments

• FE5C52C0-DEDB-45F9-9B1E-17C1FD137CC6.jpeg
    FE5C52C0-DEDB-45F9-9B1E-17C1FD137CC6.jpeg
    999.3 KB · Views: 156
  • 3F72B410-9701-4093-8569-CA7E7A422B9C.jpeg
    3F72B410-9701-4093-8569-CA7E7A422B9C.jpeg
    835.9 KB · Views: 181
For a factory rifle, I would take that extra pound and get the heavier barrel of the milspec over the sporter contour. The more material in a barrel contributes to a wide node in the barrel harmonics. For lr shooting, having a wide easy to tune node and keep tuned in a variety of hunting conditions is a necessity, especially if ur shooting factory ammo.
IMO I wouldn't want a 300wm for long range under 12lbs even with a brake. I also would get a 26" barrel
A Bergara is another good option.

Light wasn't a requirement and you're not going to find a whole lot of light sub moa factory rifles on the market.

It was a preference though.

What big box store? That will really help us shop for you.

Anyway. X bolt long range and pst gen 2 or xtr2

Is the $1500 for the whole package, and if rifle only, do you already have a scope to put on this new rifle? If not, I'd buy the optic with the store credit, as big box store prices on optics are relatively close to what you can find them for online. I'd buy the rifle from an online shop like Bud's or some other comparable site, as the markup isn't quite as high as in the big box retail stores. I haven't used one, but I've held one of the Bergara HMR rifles at a local shop and they felt nice. One of those in a .300WM would fit the bill.
I second this motion. And my HMR in 6.5 creedmoor has gotten one hole to 1/2' groups, I am still gitting some good ammo for it. I have some Federal Premium Gold Medal Berger Ammunition 6.5 Creedmoor 130 Grain Berger Hybrid Open Tip Match on the way for it. Also it shoots 1.5' grounps at 400yrds with out a good rest, that is as far as I have been able to go with it so far. Also it dose not need a new trigger or new anything for that matter.

so after looking around tonight, i think i may got hte optic route like you said... that being said lets switch the conversation what scope and rings should i get.

I do think for a gun i'm gonna get a CA mesa 300 win mag. i like the look and the price/warranty. I'm gonna go check one out this weekend.

so after looking around tonight, i think i may got hte optic route like you said... that being said lets switch the conversation what scope and rings should i get.
Ffp or sfp
Mil or Moa
Budget?

I have a vx3 lrp 6.5-20 with impact reticle really like it for hunting. I use mark 4 rings in nearly all my lr rifles.
That's what I would suggest without knowing any of ur preferences

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.