1/2x28 30cal side port muzzle brake

SamuelBerryhill308

I'm looking for recommendations for a side port muzzle brake for 1/2x28 threads for 30 cal rifle the rifle has a radial muzzle brake but blows dirt everywhere and not sure how well my magneto speed likes it either I was looking at the apa answer brake but not sure how over sized it is compared to a #3 contor barrel? I'm open to other brands apa is just the first one I started researching thanks

I'm looking for recommendations for a side port muzzle brake for 1/2x28 threads for 30 cal rifle the rifle has a radial muzzle brake but blows dirt everywhere and not sure how well my magneto speed likes it either I was looking at the apa answer brake but not sure how over sized it is compared to a #3 contor barrel? I'm open to other brands apa is just the first one I started researching thanks
Check out the Kelbly Klaw. I've got two in 7mm. They work great!

I have one on my 300 Rum . It has a Bartlien varmit contour barrel on it and the brake is exact diameter as the barrel. Looks slick to me. It's cut 1/2 in. to get it that way. I had one of their first Answer brakes . After about 100 rounds one of the web in a port blew out. I called APA and told them. They were having that problem. They sent me their new improved model . Thicker webbing. Works fine so far.

If you have a muzzle on a .30cal with 1/2" threads have your muzzle gauged after firing a box of shells and I'll bet you an unpleasant surprise. The bore as deep as the threading will be looser than the bore deeper in the barrel than the threads. A number of people have demonstrated that even 5/8x24 is a bit on the small side. From .243 to .338 I much prefer 3/4x24. Added meat at the muzzle helps keep it from belling out. I had the muzzle on a few barrels I was running 5/8x24 brakes on gauged. All came out looser under the threads than deeper than the threads even with .243cal. About a year later I found the video below and decided right there and then to go 3/4x24 on all future barrels of .24cal to .338cal. On my .223's I now do 5/8x24.

I suspect the effect is more pronounced on stainless barrels than on chrome-moly barrels. I run almost all barrels in stainless anymore.

Yes, thousands of people did smaller threads for decades. We also used to think rotary dial telephones were a pretty useful thing.