1, 2, boom!

yote doctor

It started off with a 5 hour drive south here in MT. Conditions were almost perfect. Overcast and 12 degrees with 5mph wind. Me and my good calling buddy set a goal that morning to get a few coyotes but what we really wanted was a "double"....

Which takes us to our last stand of the day. We set up above a prairie dog town just below some rim rocks. We started out with a long female howl, waited a few minutes and let out "submissive" on the foxpro. My buddy later turned and said (Pair) to our left. They were to our left alright but around mile and a half away. But, they kept coming in on a rope. Their pale fur made them appear to be albino as they ran across the dark brown terrain. As the pair disappeared, we shifted 20yards to our right to be in a better shooting position.

As they reappeared I said to my buddy, " when they get to around 200 yards I will stop them". I barked and they stopped. But in a straight line with each other. Chris said he would take the first one. As we settled our crosshairs, Chris began to count. 1.....2...... BOOM! And I have to say! What I saw in my scope at that very second was the sweetest thing I have witnessed during my 12 years of calling coyotes! I didn't see just one coyote (tense up and tip over backwards) but 2!!! Man oh man was that cool to see through my scope. By the way, they tipped over at 201 yards :D

We each shot one more earlier that day at just over 300 yards. Made for a fantastic hunt and one that we will be reliving for some time.

Thanks for reading and hope it wasn't too long of a story...

0409b55c-1517-4579-b4e7-4c8f7f9ff145_zpsad3qm6ui.jpg

c8f211b6-e03c-458c-978b-1e361b583ba8_zps8os1dgvr.jpg

db4e0f69-ffd4-4be0-957a-95a2d491a218_zpsoxbembx7.jpg

I just wanted to mention I was shooting my new custom 17 Tactical. (white stock) This is the first time I have taken it out for coyotes and man does it do the job! 30gr Kindler Gold bullet at almost 4,000 fps. Almost no fur damage.

And a thanks to Tim at No Off Season

We each shot one. The coyotes were about 7-10 yards apart but inline with each other. We pulled the triggers at what appeared to be the same time.(count of 3) So, I got to see mine and his drop simultaneously. Chris was shooting 243 Win.

So after skinning the coyotes I had shot with this 17 Tac, we found there to be almost no fur damage. These are the only two coyotes tested but I am very happy with the results thus far.

Brian

17 Tactical is based off the 20 Tac casing. Its Lapua brass that is neck down and then fire formed. Redding makes 17 Tactical dies. Im still in the fire forming stage but I am getting 5 shot 1/2 in groups already.

This caliber is very similar to the 17 Remington but with a shorter neck and the shoulder isnt as steep. Therefore it holds more powder. I am seeing an increase of around 200 fps more than my 17 Rem. Only 60 rounds through custom rifle so far.

Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.