1/2" AR500 Steel targets for???

midwesthunter

I have done a search and there is a lot of threads about steel targets. But not really answer my question. Would 1/2" AR500 that would be hanging so it would move on impact be ok for everything from .223 up to 338 Rum? From 200-800 yards

Last edited:
We are using AR400 and at 80yrds a 308 w/ an SMK put a small hardly noticeable ding in the steel. At 400 and out, the only damage is the paint being removed. No visible signs of damage on the surface. I would imagine the 500 will stop what ever you throw at it as long as you aren't using armor piercing rounds.

Tank

The closest I've shot steel plate was at 200 yards so I have no experience closer but I'm curious at 80 yards do you find any close calls with ricochets and also what safety precautions other than safety glasses do you reccomend. I've always wanted to shoot steel closer but, just a little cautious.

The closest I've shot steel plate was at 200 yards so I have no experience closer but I'm curious at 80 yards do you find any close calls with ricochets and also what safety precautions other than safety glasses do you reccomend. I've always wanted to shoot steel closer but, just a little cautious.

We hang our plate from chains. So regardless of the terrain angle it sets perfectly vertical. To be honest, every bullet that has impacted the plate has exploded. There would have been no ricochet. Obviously the normal safety gear would be a good idea; ear plugs, safety glasses, safe range from homes etc. Always be aware of what is behind your target. Where we shoot LR at, there is a mountain so ricochet's are not a real concern. I will caution the amount of shrapnel that is thrown from multiple bullets in one spot will shred the foliage under the target. Make sure that if a farmer gives you permission to use his field that you place the target on the edges so as not to destroy his crops. We place ours on the road and in fence rows.

Thanks for responding. The 200 yard plate I mentioned earlier is at the local range and to tell you the truth at that distance I don't know what the bullet does but since you mentioned they explode then it sounds like a ricochet or shrapmetal at a reasonable distance isn't to big a concern.

We use 3/8 AR500 plate and mount it at a slight angle so everything goes down below the target. Seems to work very well. I have even hit it with 647gr. ball ammo from my 50, with no ricochets.

It sounds like 3/8" will work as I think bunnywhacker in his post is talking about 3/8" and hitting it with a 647 gr 50 cal.

Mine are AR500 and either 1/2 or 5/8". My 300WM does too much damage to them at 200 yds but a 30-06 is ok. Hanging from chains FWIW.

Anything smaller (.243, .223) does not even affect them at 200yds and further.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts