1-12 twist

Nomad

Plan on shooting sagerats and rockchucks with a 223 Rem that has a 1-12 twist.
could use some help in a bullet 40-55gr want to load just one bullet.
This is a bolt gun 22 in barrel sporter style be shooting to 400 or so yards.
Very open high desert country........

Plan on shooting sagerats and rockchucks with a 223 Rem that has a 1-12 twist.
could use some help in a bullet 40-55gr want to load just one bullet.
This is a bolt gun 22 in barrel sporter style be shooting to 400 or so yards.
Very open high desert country........

1 in 12 is a fairly slow twist for a 223 due to velocity so I would recomend the faster bullets
(35,40 and 50grs) to get the velocity up.

The 50gr should work @ around 34 to 3500 ft/sec.

And the 40gr will work just fine over 3600 ft/sec.

I had a 1 in 14 22-250 and 52 to 55gr was best @ 3800ft/sec+ .

The 223 will hum the 35 and 40grain bullets so I would try them first.

J E CUSTOM

If you can get your rifle to shoot them, I would try the 40 and 50 gr. V-MAXes. I shoot the 50gr. @ about 3050 with my .222 Rem. You can reach out to about 350 yds. pretty consistent. At lower velocities, wind drift REALLY matters.

Good luck.

take your pick of the 40, 50 or 55 grain V-MAX. For explosive impact, there's none finer... FYI, I once spoke with the tech support at Hornady; they informed me the 52gr A-Max is the same as the other 22 cal v-max but held to tighter mfg tolerances; they work exactly the same too, just can't buy the 250 packs...

I have a Howa 1-12 20inch .223 that loves 40gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips with 27.6 grains of Benchmark. I shoot the exact same load out of my Rem. LTR .223 that has a 1-9 20in. also. Both my .223's love the 40gr. NBT really well. Coyotes hate hate em but my .223's love em. :)

Like you, I have a 12 twist Remington 700 in 223. With the slow twist you will be limited to bullets in the 62 grain or less category. And the longest range you will be able to shoot is ~400-500yards.

take your pick of the 40, 50 or 55 grain V-MAX. For explosive impact, there's none finer... FYI, I once spoke with the tech support at Hornady; they informed me the 52gr A-Max is the same as the other 22 cal v-max but held to tighter mfg tolerances; they work exactly the same too, just can't buy the 250 packs...

The 52gr. A-MAXes definitely don't perform as well as the V-MAXes, on chucks at least. No expansion whatsoever, out of a 22-250 Rem shooting 3500 fps. The accuracy stinks also (out of my rifle), probably due to the different ogive shape. The accuracy might be great out of your rifle, but you're definitely NOT looking at a 52gr BT V-MAX lol. The tolerances are tighter tho.

The 52gr A-Max bullets shot better out of my Broughton 12 twist (.223) than any other bullet that I tried, including several match bullets. At thiis point I have only shot paper and don't know how they perform on varmints. I'll have to wait until the spring to provide some terminal performance reports on the A-Max.

I've had slightly better accuracy with Nosler B-Tips than with Hornady V-Max bullets but they both get the job done reliably.

All-in-all I killed more fat PA groundhogs with the Sierra 52gr HPBT bullet, launched from a 22-250, than with anything else. Groundhogs died instantly but were not "blown apart", if that's what your looking for.

If you're looking for "blown apart" lol. Try 52gr. Speer Jacketed HPs at around 3500 to 3750 fps. I shoot them out of my 22-250 and my 220 Swift. The accuracy load with both guns happened to be with these bullets. Although later, I found out that the 22-250 likes the bergers a tiny bit better lol; terminal performance isn't quite as good tho.

Speaking to a friend about bullets he stated that barnes 36gr were hard hitting and
they blow up on impact, one shot at about 150yds on a coyote stop him in his tracks
no exit wound........

Speaking to a friend about bullets he stated that barnes 36gr were hard hitting and
they blow up on impact, one shot at about 150yds on a coyote stop him in his tracks
no exit wound........

I'm assuming that's the Varmint Grenade. How was accuracy, and velocity? And out of what caliber rifle?

Not sure of the velocity, rifle is a 223 and will shoot a 1" group most of the
time less the shooter.........

Some tuff peramiters you set down for the perfect load.
For sagerats I much prefer 27.5 of Tac and a 40 grain VMax but its loseing a lot of gas by 400 yards. Have taken a couple of rockchucks with this load but prefer a heavier bullet! (the 243 shootin 55s or 75s works great for chucks!).

Because of wind in our area and distance that shooting will be done the 52gr bullet looks to be a good choice for sage rats and the rockchucks same as woodchucks.....
What are you thoughts, and have you shoot the 52's out of 223 ........

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.