1:12 twist rate

coyotebuster

I'm thinking about buying a remington sps varmint .243 for coyotes and deer. i would like to use the heavier VLD bullets but i'm not sure how they would shoot out of a barrel with a twist rate of 1:12. Any information about this would be great.

Thanks.

A 1:12 will only let you go as heavy as 90 or 95 grain bullets. You might want to look at Savage. They have several models with a 1:9.125 twist for shooting up to the 105 A-max. You'll have to look at the predator models or varmint models.

Tank

most remingtons are 1 in 9. i shoot 88 berger out of my 1 in 12 hart. they are very good out to very far

i agree with liltank you will have to find something with a different twist. The 1-12 is for the light bullets. I have a 1-10 in my 243 Super Rockchucker and i cant shoot anthing over the 90 grain in the VLD. So if you want to shoot the heavy bullets get a fast twist like a 1-8 or 1-9.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts