1:12 twist muzzleloader barrel

elktaker

I have found a bunch of sabots for .45 to .357 (double sabots that dead center sells) laying around and was looking to get a .45 cal muzzleloader barrel that I could swap on my Savage SA (large shank). Would be nice to have a 209 savage muzzleloader in a XLR chassis.

So after looking at a lot of bullets in .357, I located the Nosler's 375 Caliber 260 Grain (bc of .473) which Berger's Twist Calc. suggested a minimum of 1:13 twist to stabilize at 2000 to 2200 fps.

Any one know if I could get a barrel in a twist that is 1:12" and if I could would work? Not sure if sabots would hold up to such a tight twist rate think they are bullets are designed for 1:20 to 28 twist..

I have already sent an inquiry if they can get a tighter twist:

ASG LLC - Savage Conversion

I have a optima elite in 1:28" twist that I would like to sell to my bother to offset some of the barrel cost.

g7's ballistic calculator shows at 2200 Fps at muzzle will leave over 1300 fps with over 1000 ft-lbs left at 700 yards.

OH FORGOT: Could I go with a Smaller barrel like a 40 or 38 cal barrel.
So can it be done and be accurate? Only regulation in Utah is a bullet weight restriction (its in the low 200s can remember off the top of my head) and I would have to load black powder here for hunting.

So continuing my search I found this:

swinglock.net - .308 Standard Thumbover

Looks like they do a some type of built in chamber for these to get more velocity, but gets me wondering if I could just go with a .357 barrel and somehow turn the bullets. They sell bullet sizer;s but do not make a .357 (but they do make a 308). They are getting 3000 plus fps out of the 308 version.

any input?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.