1-12 twist for 30-06?

heelerx2

I have a 30-06 built by Penrod. It has a Krieger barrel that is 1-12 twist.
I am shooting nosler 165 bt. So far I have not been able to shoot less than 1" groups at 100 yards. I was hoping for much tighter groups. My Nosler manual shows 1-10" twist for their test barrel. Will the 1-12 barrel shoot 165's as good as a 1-10?

Yes...1/12 is in the optimum range for mid-weight 30 cal bullets.

There are about 100 other variables in rifle and ammo that can affect group size including the bullet itself.

Try a quick ladder test around your load to find the sweet spot.

TC

Over a hundred years ago, the .30-03 shot long, heavy 220 grain round nose bullets. It needed a 1:10 twist at the velocities they left at.

Three years after its origin, the bullet was changed to a 150 grain spitzer. It only needed a 1:12 twist to stabilize it. But the US Government in all its infinite wisdom decided to keep the 1:10 twist for that new cartridge they called the .30-06 'cause it was thought that would be OK.

50 years later when Remington designed the 7.62 NATO round, they knew a 1:12 twist was best for the 147-gr. bullet it used. Even though that bullet left about 100 fps slower than the .30-06's 150 grain bullet, it was still very well stabilized. In fact, the 1:;12 twist was better for accuracy. When the 172 grain match bullet was used, accuracy was even better with that slightly heavier bullet.

But sporting rifles had 1:10 twist barrels 'cause the public thought that was best. They knew the famous M1903-A3 Springfields had it and so did the M1 Garand. So it had to be perfect for the .30-06. But competitive shooters knew that a 168 grain bullet leaving at .30-06 and .308 Win. velocities was the most accurate with a 1:12 twist. A 1:13 twist is the standard for Palma rifles shooting their 145 to 155 grain bullets out at 3000 fps for long range competition.

So yes, a .30-06 with a 1:12 twist will do just fine with 165's. It may not be fast enough for long, heavy, bullets over 200 grains, but such is life.

Last edited:
Bart B and Top Cat: Thanks for your quick responses. Great info and a piece of mind for me. I'll keep at this rifle till I can figure out what it likes. It has been tough getting the barrel broke in. Still having to soak overnight with Bore Tech to get out the copper after a shooting session.

Your barrel break in and cleaning will make it difficult to really find optimum accuracy. I would let the barre l get a little dirty then try your load again. I found the accuracy of my barrel didn't come it until the barrel was completely broke in. It took me around 200-300 rounds for this to happen. Couldn't be happier. I use the 168NBT. Great bullet for the .308 Winny! You may want to try different bullets also.

Tank

[...]It has been tough getting the barrel broke in. Still having to soak overnight with Bore Tech to get out the copper after a shooting session.

That sounds excessive. ...especially for a Kreiger.

I have a Shilen that wasn't breaking in and cleaning up as quickly/easily as I expected. I just completed the Tubbs Final Finish regimine yesterday. It seemed like it was cleaning up easier by the end. But, I'll know more as I start load development with some new components shortly.

-- richard

I have a 30-06 built by Penrod. It has a Krieger barrel that is 1-12 twist.
I am shooting nosler 165 bt. So far I have not been able to shoot less than 1" groups at 100 yards. I was hoping for much tighter groups. My Nosler manual shows 1-10" twist for their test barrel. Will the 1-12 barrel shoot 165's as good as a 1-10?
Try a faster burning powder, I had same problem with a 1 in 13 twist,..go to the next fastest burn rate of powder, work up a load for it, effectively, the slower rates loose velocity, and accuracy, due to lesspressure,..

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.