1:11 twist questions?

TheBlackPearl

.300 rum with lilja 30in barrel 1:11 twist! I have been shooting the 220smk's and they seem to shoot good. is this bullet to light, to heavy or just right for 1:11 twist?

A 10tw would be perfect.
But your only a bit lower in stability,, depending on altitude and temps.

I wouldn't worry about it , and next time you can choose a twist, go 10 with that bullet.

.300 rum with lilja 30in barrel 1:11 twist! I have been shooting the 220smk's and they seem to shoot good. is this bullet to light, to heavy or just right for 1:11 twist?

With good velocity you will probably be OK but it will be marginal with 220s and 240 grain bullets.

If you are not real happy with the accuracy you may have to try 200s or 210s.

With the biggest bullets in .30 cal I would also recomend the 1 in 10 twist.

Just an opinion though.

J E CUSTOM

I had a 30" Lilja 300 rum on a Ruger #1 with an 11 twist. As others have pretty much stated, you are probably on the "ragged edge". You can get by with a little less twist because of the high velocities you are probably getting, but anything over 210 is stretching it. It also depends more on the length of the bullet than the weight, so you may have a little wiggle room there. Unfortunately, the highest B.C. bullets are normally the longest ones.......Rich

I get 3140 fps out of a 215 primer and retumbo. I usually shoot at 4000 to 5000 feet altitude and 30 to 40 degrees! I have had no problems with accuracy just curious if it was set up right!

I've got an 11 twist on my Broughton bbl in 300 RUM. It shoots the Berger 210 VLD accurately and has no problem with the 220 SMK either. The 240's probably need a 10 twist but they don't interest me anyway. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.