1 1/2 inch gun

I have a light weight Ruger that only shoots 1 to 1 1/2 two shot groups. How far can I shoot deer or hogs and still make ethical hits
Obviously, you don't shoot much or you'd be answering your own question. Based on that assumption, you should limit your shots to 200 yds or much less. As stated above, at 200 yds, your error from off a steady bench is 6" (+/-3"). Aiming at a 9" circle kill zone leaves only +/-1.5" of slop to completely miss the kill zone. Your accuracy will only get worse from here. Now add more error induced by your aiming ability, plus shooting quickly at animals that don't stand still long, plus trigger control error, plus not shooting from a stable bench, plus increased heartbeat, plus etc. That is a lot of induced error created from not practicing year around. As others have suggested, shoot at some stuff under the same conditions that you hunt. For example, shoot from leaning on a tree, standing off-hand, sitting, use a timer set to alarm at various times and see how accurate you shoot, etc. Place targets at various distances maybe use 9" paper plates stapled to throwaway political signs, etc. If you can't keep "ALL" of your rounds on the 9" paper plate, then that is "your" limit. If you're not willing to make that effort, then you are not ethical.

Unfortunately, I have unethical hunters in my hunting club that refuse to practice before hunting season. A box of 20 rounds will last them many years. Every year they say they missed a deer at 100 yds or less from a fairly steady shooting box window or ladder stand railing. How do they know they missed? Maybe they just wounded the deer and it ran off to die a slow painful death. Not knowing your limits through practicing - not by book learning - is unethical.

Last edited:
Agreed. I very seldom shoot paper and I know I should. I am older and unsteady on my feet so I have let game walk off because I was not comfortable with the shot
I
do shoot all year (thousands of rounds with 22 lr, 17 hmr and air rifle) at ground squirrels to keep in practice. I have harvested probably 75 hogs. 20 deer and a couple of elk

This gun has given me fits and I am trying to decide what to do with it

My 30-06 shoots a consistent 1-1.5 moa at 100 yards. I figured it would be my general purpose out to 300 yards, more like 200 yards. Then I shot it on paper for fun at 300 yards, 1.5" group off the bench. I then put 17 oz water bottles on the 450 yard berm and hit them 8 out of 10 times. Those were with 180 gr Partitions. It's best to test out to your hunting distances.
I have heard this before and can't understand it. How does a rifle shoot 1-1.5 moa at 100 and 1.5" at 300? Not calling you out I just don't understand.

Agreed. I very seldom shoot paper and I know I should. I am older and unsteady on my feet so I have let game walk off because I was not comfortable with the shot
I
do shoot all year (thousands of rounds with 22 lr, 17 hmr and air rifle) at ground squirrels to keep in practice. I have harvested probably 75 hogs. 20 deer and a couple of elk

This gun has given me fits and I am trying to decide what to do with it
First, I'd do a bedding job and make sure the barrel isn't touching the stock, then try it again.

I have heard this before and can't understand it. How does a rifle shoot 1-1.5 moa at 100 and 1.5" at 300? Not calling you out I just don't understand.
You might of heard it from me before and asked the same question. There are two possible reasons. One smith told me that the bullets didn't fully stabilize at 100 yards and did later on. But Byran Litz doesn't believe it's possible. He believes that it's a possible parallax issue. Either way I've had several of my friends shoot it and we had the same results.

As others have said, take it out a bit further and see how the rifle shoots. I've seen Rugers that barely toss moa at 100 be good to 1/3 mile or better and Winchesters that shoot sub moa at 100 puke by 200. The proof is in the pudding.

I have tried all the Ruger fixes. Even freefloated then bedded with pressure. The bedding helped. From over 2 inches at 100 to 1 to 1 1/2

Will try longer ranges this week or next

id rather buy a new tikka and sell the ruger. you know itll shoot. and probably cost the same as a rebarrel
This would be my remedy, I love my Ruger .44 mag blackhawk but I'm not a fan of Ruger rifles outside of the No.1 and No.3. I'm certain there's a legion of M77 owners who have done very well with their rifles over the years, but a Tikka is an easy fix for out-of-the-box accuracy.