1.04 Mile Prairie Dog

I agree but this was a one in a million shot and I doubt that it could have been repeated while he was there, once again it was an awesome shot and I'm sure the trigger man knows his stuff obviously but there was a ton of "luck" and I mean a ton in this shot, along with the near perfect weather

While I do agree with some, 30 years ago, I and a few others heard the same thing about shooting P-dogs and sub 5 inch BR groups at 1,000+ yds. On 1,000+yd P-dogs, we became fairly consistent with about 1 in 3 hits, and over time in 1,000 BR shooting, we learned to shrink those groups.

Fast forward into the future, and we began shooting in 1 mile matches, and using a 19x19" plate as the target size, we soon discovered many of our groups would easily take a grown P-dog in about 1 to 3 or 1 to 4 shots. Before beginning 1 mile shooting, I never gave any thought to the idea of hitting P-dogs that far. YMMV

All the people claiming they're not impressed, have not killed a sod poodle at 1 mile.

Yes some luck is involved as you're playing under the average accuracy level of your rifle, but it still takes an incredible amount of skill to accomplish it.
When playing under the accuracy level of your rifle it is not longer precision shooting. At best you are trying to miss in the right direction and hitting is a side effect. Hitting something smaller then your rifle will group directly correlates to how many times do you want to shoot at X Y or Z. I find it much more impressive killing something in highly adverse conditions at ranges where you're equipment WILL put rounds into your target every single time. When you're shooting a p dog in 30 wind gusts at 786 yards, then I will tip my hat to you. Because you are the only variable in the equation. The equipment is capable 100 of 100 times not 1 of 1000 times.

By definition luck and precision are mutually exclusive

When playing under the accuracy level of your rifle it is not longer precision shooting. At best you are trying to miss in the right direction and hitting is a side effect. Hitting something smaller then your rifle will group directly correlates to how many times do you want to shoot at X Y or Z. I find it much more impressive killing something in highly adverse conditions at ranges where you're equipment WILL put rounds into your target every single time. When you're shooting a p dog in 30 wind gusts at 786 yards, then I will tip my hat to you. Because you are the only variable in the equation. The equipment is capable 100 of 100 times not 1 of 1000 times.

Just curious, what is the consistent group size your LR/ELR rifles? Several of my LR/ELR varmint and other rifles, and especially the BR ones, hold sub 0.2 MOA 5 shot groups with one of my BR's going sub 0.1" Of course, I always have to do my part to maximize that potential.

Pushing the limit in any sport is how we advance, improve and grow beyond what we thought was possible. This may be group size, wind reading, trigger control, follow through, etc, etc. Simply, if the gear, load or shooting technique doesn't cut it, improve it. Expand the limits. YMMV

Hitting a prairie dog at 786 yards 100 times in a row in a no wind condition would certainly be better than any equipment I've ever seen personally, or even claimed on the internet.

A 1 mile prairie dog is like a hole in one in golf. The best golfers make it happen more often and it isn't as near as lucky as if I dropped one in the cup.

All are correct. My best rifles group about the size of a basketball at 1500 yds. Fine for a man sized target, but = lots of near misses at a prairie dog. Especially with any wind or mirage. My longest confirmed kill was 1472, and yes it was largely the pd's poor luck. To answer the earlier question, the bullet arc my shot included about 32 ft of elevation and 6 feet of wind. That was with a 180gr Berger VLD at almost 3150 fps!
A true curve ball! And largely luck.

Just curious, what is the consistent group size your LR/ELR rifles? Several of my LR/ELR varmint and other rifles, and especially the BR ones, hold sub 0.2 MOA 5 shot groups with one of my BR's going sub 0.1" Of course, I always have to do my part to maximize that potential.

Pushing the limit in any sport is how we advance, improve and grow beyond what we thought was possible. This may be group size, wind reading, trigger control, follow through, etc, etc. Simply, if the gear, load or shooting technique doesn't cut it, improve it. Expand the limits. YMMV
I refuse to believe you have a consistent sub .1 MOA @ 1k or beyond. You have lost absolutely all credibility in my mind making an absolutely outrageous claim

Sounds like a hell of lot more fun to me....shooting at shorttails at a mile....than shooting them within 800 yards...
Most times it's better to pass by such bs of which he is passing wind.....
I bet shooting clay pigeons at 470 yards with a stock .22 is not cool in his bible too........

All are correct. My best rifles group about the size of a basketball at 1500 yds. Fine for a man sized target, but = lots of near misses at a prairie dog. Especially with any wind or mirage. My longest confirmed kill was 1472, and yes it was largely the pd's poor luck. To answer the earlier question, the bullet arc my shot included about 32 ft of elevation and 6 feet of wind. That was with a 180gr Berger VLD at almost 3150 fps!
A true curve ball! And largely luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.