0moa or 20moa scope base?

Hello,

I am brand new to this sight/forums and like what I am seeing so far!

I am a newbie and have a newbie question. I picked up a Howa 1500 308 with a 24" bull barrel several months ago. I wasn't looking for one, it just fell in my lap for too good a deal to walk away from. Now, Black Friday got me and I ordered a MDT LSS-XL chassis for it. I am going to rob a Vortex HS-T 4-16 MOA off another rifle to get things rolling. But I'm not sure what scope base to order. I don't see myself hunting past 600 yards, after diligent practice, but this will be my first experience in trying to go long range and I do have a 1000 yard range close by. I also have the big Arizona desert to play in. If it was going to be strictly a 600 hard gun I know a 0moa base would be good, but do I need to go to a 20moa base to make 1000 yards? And do I compromise anything at short ranges with a 20moa base? In theory, the 20moa base just allows for more elevation out of my scopes turret, correct?

Thanks in advance!

That scope should have 75 MOA of vertical travel. Assuming (big assumption) the base aligns true to the barrel and it zeros at 300 midway of the full travel, a 0 MOA base gets you out to about 1,000 yards. A 20 MOA base gets you out to 1,300 yards, even more if you click the full travel and then use the stadia on the reticle.

Even if you will probably never shoot that far, it's nice just to know that you can, especially with that big Arizona desert to play in.

I just made that decision myself and went with a Warne 20 MOA mount/rings. That is after dropping more for a scope than I paid for the rifle, but I just joined a range that goes to 400 (not too common in the east), but has monthly 600 & 1,000 matches.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts