0MOA Action with canted scope mounts

mosh338

Hi

I busy with a custom build using a Defiance Deviant tac action. The smith only has an action with a 0 MOA rail which I am considering over the Kelbys Atlas tactical with 20MOA rail.

I was just wondering if there are any issues using a 0 MOA rail with 20MOA mounts such as the Spuhr mounts which have 20MOA bias. Should I just go with the Kelbys Atlas tac instead of the Defiance?

The gun will be used for PRS type competitions where targets are generally in the region of 300 to 1000 yards

M

The deviant tactical can be had with a 0,10,20, or 30 MOA base. Why not get one with the inclination that you want? I'd personally want a 20 MOA base for the purposes you mention.

Generally there is a long wait time for the Defiance stuff and his smith only has a zero MOA in stock so I think his immediate options are;
1) Build the zero MOA Deviant now
2) Build the Atlas now
or wait an indefinite period for the Defiance.
Spuhr mounts are solid but can sometimes limit your scope position, and are costly.
Burris XTR rings are another option
https://www.burrisoptics.com/mounting-systems/rings/xtr-signature-rings

Generally there is a long wait time for the Defiance stuff and his smith only has a zero MOA in stock so I think his immediate options are;
1) Build the zero MOA Deviant now
2) Build the Atlas now
or wait an indefinite period for the Defiance.
Spuhr mounts are solid but can sometimes limit your scope position, and are costly.
Burris XTR rings are another option
https://www.burrisoptics.com/mounting-systems/rings/xtr-signature-rings
Thanks I had considered the Burris rings as well. Just wanted to know if i should go with the deviant with 0 cant and canted rings or opt for the atlas with a 20MOA rail

They are both fine actions and I think you will be happy either way.

Every time I've let a smith talk me into something I didn't want I've been disappointed and wished I'd insisted upon having it built the way I wanted originally. It's your rifle, get it done the way YOU want it. The deviant hunter has an integral base, I'd want it 20 MOA myself. I wouldn't want to have to rely upon the rings to get the cant I need.

That being said, I have a Kelbly atlas tactical and love it. I was debating my build on a defiance but chose the Kelbly instead with no regrets.

So, it really depends upon what you want. If you'd prefer the Defiance then I'd order one and wait or call Southern Precision Rifles and get on their list for when they get their next batch in. If your primary use is 300-1000 yds then to me that calls for a 20 MOA base to me. If you'd said 100-700 yds then I'd say 0 MOA no sweat. The 0 MOA integral rail for your application would be a no go for me, I wouldn't use it just because the smith had it in stock and it would speed up the build. Down the road I think you'd wish you'd waited.

Every time I've let a smith talk me into something I didn't want I've been disappointed and wished I'd insisted upon having it built the way I wanted originally. It's your rifle, get it done the way YOU want it. The deviant hunter has an integral base, I'd want it 20 MOA myself. I wouldn't want to have to rely upon the rings to get the cant I need.

That being said, I have a Kelbly atlas tactical and love it. I was debating my build on a defiance but chose the Kelbly instead with no regrets.

So, it really depends upon what you want. If you'd prefer the Defiance then I'd order one and wait or call Southern Precision Rifles and get on their list for when they get their next batch in. If your primary use is 300-1000 yds then to me that calls for a 20 MOA base to me. If you'd said 100-700 yds then I'd say 0 MOA no sweat. The 0 MOA integral rail for your application would be a no go for me, I wouldn't use it just because the smith had it in stock and it would speed up the build. Down the road I think you'd wish you'd waited.
Thanks. That makes sense. The only problem is that the wait in South Africa could be well over a year. Maybe I should consider the Kelbys. My only reservations on the kelbys are the pinned recoil lug and the welded bolt handle. However I think I might just be taken by the marketing of the defiance deviant as I have not seen any bad reviews on the kelbys action.

Is there any reason you suggest not relying on the scope rings to provide the necessary cant?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.