'06 barrel lenght experience

texan79

Looking to plan my next build, and truthfully I wanted a short barreled .308 (hunting gun not tactical) for easy manuevering in cover and in the truck and stand. Problem is, i have a long action to build on, and dont want to waste the available horsepower potential by putting a .308 on it.

So, anyone have a 22" '06? How does it perform? I realize there will be some loss of ballistic performance by shortening the barrel, but am I going to end up with a .308 that just burns more powder?

THX

Looking to plan my next build, and truthfully I wanted a short barreled .308 (hunting gun not tactical) for easy manuevering in cover and in the truck and stand. Problem is, i have a long action to build on, and dont want to waste the available horsepower potential by putting a .308 on it.

So, anyone have a 22" '06? How does it perform? I realize there will be some loss of ballistic performance by shortening the barrel, but am I going to end up with a .308 that just burns more powder?

THX

Yes depending on bullet weight... if you want a short barrel .308 cal just buy a .308 Win. Short .30-06 is just a flash bulbs barrel. They still shoot great, but in there best loads and bullet weight your giving up velocity...
Good luck

plenty of 18.5 " 3006 carbines out there in semi auto and pump action. You wont lose that much with the 3006 with a 22" barrel, many guns like the winchester featherweight come with a 22" barrel. Great though to be able to load the 06 up or down, some will say you can with the 308 but given even 22" barrels the 3006 still out performs the 308. Chop away and enjoy your woods riflegun)

THX

I have a 22" pacnor on my .06 and any future .06 will have the same length bbl. It is the perfect length for the .06. No need for longer, and you could do shorter, but then you obviously lose benefit.

I've noticed a 308 with a 24" tube can get equal velocity or close to a 30.06 with a 22" tube. My Sako 308 has a 24" Obermeyer.

Stick with 22" on your .06. You'll be glad you did.

THX
The 22" barrel would be a great choice for what your wanting in my opinion. The last 5 shot group I checked averaged 2713 fps out of a factory Rem 700 with 22" barrel with 180 gr Nosler Accubond. Good load for feral hogs.

My 30-06 experience past and present is fine with 22". A 200 grain Accubond can be driven mid to upper 2600's. This will give the minimum 1800 fps Nosler states is necessary for expansion to between 500 & 600 yards. Add a quality scope with a properly calibrated turret, and you've got about as handy as it's going to get for a general duty carry rifle.

I get 91fps avg difference between my 24" and 22" 30-06 using the exact same load with H4350. There's not a lot of ballistic advantage there.

You should only loose around 25FPS per inch with a 06 on average. I have gotten great velocities with RL17 and a 22 inch barrel.

Keep in mind the volume a 30 calibler bore takes up in a 22 inche long barrel. Now the 06 case is only going to displace approx 60 grains H2O so the pressure should be falling off quite a bit by the time the bullet reaches the muzzle.

With a 25 -06 I would probably be a different story because the bore is so much smaller.

A 35 Whelen might actually be running a vaccum by the time the bullet reaches the muzzle:D.

The 22" barrels on the 06 are all around great hunting rifles 150-180 gr bullets.
As posted H4350 and IMR 4350 seem to be some of the best powders for the 06.
Many new powders on the market as well as bullets withvery high BC.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.