.001 gram (.015grain) scales?

If you were looking for a scale that did weigh down to .001 I would suggest the sartorius entris 64-1s. I bought this because I did not like how my two chargemasters wandered and how slow they were. Was and is it overkill YES. Does the magnetic force restoration and speed beat two chargemasters YES. I only weigh powder on it I do not weigh bullets, brass, or primers. It will weigh down to the granule of XBR8208.
If you were looking for a scale that did weigh down to .001 I would suggest the sartorius entris 64-1s. I bought this because I did not like how my two chargemasters wandered and how slow they were. Was and is it overkill YES. Does the magnetic force restoration and speed beat two chargemasters YES. I only weigh powder on it I do not weigh bullets, brass, or primers. It will weigh down to the granule of XBR8208.

mgn is correct as the Entris 64-s is top notch.
I had two gempro 250 and at first it seemed good but shortly after it became really full of suck. Had to pull many loads and re-weigh them with my new Entris 323 so after a bunch of research I settled with the Entris 323 which has been great.

Well I just Got mine 3 weeks ago, Sartorius Entris II BCE223i Scale with the V3Auto drop and Trickler. I originally bought the FX120I V3 combo. But in July and August there was a back order, because Canada was down with the Corona Virus, and was having a problems with production on the V3s. DWS "Data Weighing Systems" had the FX120i scales, but not the V3s. Well the 3rd week of August I called my sales rep. Justen, at DWS and he told me it would be 3 to 4 more weeks before their shipment would be in from Canada. He made the mistake "LOL" of telling me that they had the Sartorius V3 kits are in, but not the FX120i V3 kits. I had purchased the upgrade mods for the FX120i so it was just a matter of $200.00 more dollars and I got the Sartorius V3 combo kit. It doesn't need the Mods I bought for the FX120I.
The Sartorius BCE223i has IOS-Calibration. No need for Calibration weights. It calibrates it's self. It also measures room temperature and moisture levels in the room. If there is a change in the temp in the room it will recalibrate it's self. If the moisture level in the room changes, it will calibrate it's self, and less than 1 second Stabilization.
I went this route because I was tired of waiting for my FX120I V3. The FX120i is more scale than any Reloader needs when paired with the V3 kits. DWS has the FX120i scale for $475.00, as of last week. In Stock. They also have all of the Area 419 mods. Data Weighing Systems - 1-800-750-6842, www.dataweigh.com ask for Justin or Llya.
Edited 09/03/2020 12:12pm. Sorry for the edit, Data Weighing System is the place I bought mine. Advanced Weighing System is another company I deal with for weighing Tractor Trailers. My Bad. That's what happens when you work 24hr shifts and your to wound up to sleep, and you wined down by pecking it out on the key board.
20200831_234504.jpg

Last edited:
The Gem Pro seems to be discontinued. I have found Gem20 and Gemini 20 but find no mention of the latter on here and one breif (i have one) post about the Gem20. Does anyone here have or had one? I'd like opinions from the folks here. Knowing some Amazon sellers buy ratings makes me hesitant to trust those.

I have used digital scales and balance beam scales and always go back the balance beam to verify the accuracy of the weight of powder, bullets and cases. The digital are faster but are effecter by many different things so I rely on the beam for the final word.

Week to week or month to month it never changes. I have been using the Ohaus dual beam and the old Ohaus 1010 and they have never let me down. The new RCBS 1010 is not as good as the old Ohaus 1010 but the dual beam is the best in my opinion, and the price is very reasonable.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051W8YBE/?tag=lrhmag19-20

J E CUSTOM

Most extruded powder is between 0.02 -0.04 grains per kernel. If you measure to 0.01 gr, what you going to do, cut them in half or quarters with a knife?
You speak big truth. I suggest that if some one is reloading in 0.01 resolution... That they keep a BIG bottle of aspirin next to their scale... 0.02 resolution is the best resolution to weigh in. Just my 2cents.
I have used digital scales and balance beam scales and always go back the balance beam to verify the accuracy of the weight of powder, bullets and cases. The digital are faster but are effecter by many different things so I rely on the beam for the final word.

Week to week or month to month it never changes. I have been using the Ohaus dual beam and the old Ohaus 1010 and they have never let me down. The new RCBS 1010 is not as good as the old Ohaus 1010 but the dual beam is the best in my opinion, and the price is very reasonable.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051W8YBE/?tag=lrhmag19-20

J E CUSTOM
Sweet Beams, Sir.

I know the focus here is on the scale BUT te powder measure is just one thing to tick in the box.

So I presume is you want to go to those lenghts in your reloading that you-

Anneal every firing?
Turn your case necks?
Weight sort your brass & measure by water volume?
Weight sort your projectiles by weight & ogive dimensions?
Uniformed everything?

Hows your rifle?
Trued action?
Bedded your scope mounts & ring?

I know this is a LDH site but is it a BR site??

Im not knocking the OP for trying to bring things "in" but dont you have to be doing it all in conjunction with the most precise case prep regimen possible??

Small calible loads to me seems to suggest short distance shooting & no need for such a precise device or outlay.

But I may be wrong?

Well I just Got mine 3 weeks ago, Sartorius Entris II BCE223i Scale with the V3Auto drop and Trickler. I originally bought the FX120I V3 combo. But in July and August there was a back order, because Canada was down with the Corona Virus, and was having a problems with production on the V3s. AWS "Advanced Weighing Systems" had the FX120i scales, but not the V3s. Well the 3rd week of August I called my sales rep. Justen, at AWS and he told me it would be 3 to 4 more weeks before their shipment would be in from Canada. He made the mistake "LOL" of telling me that they had the Sartorius V3 kits in but not the FX120i V3 kits. I had purchased the upgrade mods for the FX120i so it was just a matter of $200.00 more dollars and I got the Sartorius V3 combo kit. It doesn't need the Mods I bought for the FX120I.
The Sartorius BCE223i has IOS-Calibration. No need for Calibration weights. It calibrates it's self. It also measures room temperature and moisture levels in the room. If there is a change in the temp in the room it will recalibrate it's self.
If the moisture level in the room changes, it will calibrate it's self, and less than 1 second Stabilization.
I went this route because I was tired of waiting for my FX120I V3. The FX120i is more scale than any Reloader needs when paired with the V3 kits. AWS has the FX120i scale for $475.00, as of last week. In Stock.
Is that not Data weighing Systems instead of Advanced Weighing Systems?

I know the focus here is on the scale BUT te powder measure is just one thing to tick in the box.

So I presume is you want to go to those lenghts in your reloading that you-

Anneal every firing?
Turn your case necks?
Weight sort your brass & measure by water volume?
Weight sort your projectiles by weight & ogive dimensions?
Uniformed everything?

Hows your rifle?
Trued action?
Bedded your scope mounts & ring?

I know this is a LDH site but is it a BR site??

Im not knocking the OP for trying to bring things "in" but dont you have to be doing it all in conjunction with the most precise case prep regimen possible??

Small calible loads to me seems to suggest short distance shooting & no need for such a precise device or outlay.

But I may be wrong?

You are not wrong. This level of precision is not for everyone. Depending on the level of accuracy a person needs different standards are/may be needed.

Any improvement is important as you say as long you have everything else to that same degree of perfection. At some point very slight changes/improvements are hard to measure, But believe me they all help at distance. What might not show up at 100 yards can be several inches at 1000 yards.

Like many, I use to not worry about small differences because of the range and use. once I started shooting and hunting long distances these little things became noticeable and had a negative effect on bullet placement. I was also happy with 1/2 MOA accuracy. Once I became anal about everything, I saw 1/4 MOA frequently and sub 1/10th MOA on occasions.

For many people this degree is not necessary, but if a person is not happy with his accuracy then being consistent in everything can make a difference.

For myself, Many of my rifles/pistols don't require 1/4 MOA or better accuracy. But it is hard to have two different standards, so I treat all of my firearms with the same attention to details and in the end, I am never disappointed in their performance.

Different strokes' for different folks. :)
Just My Opinion.

J E CUSTOM

Is that not Data weighing Systems instead of Advanced Weighing Systems?
Yep I screwed the pooch on that one. I should of been sleeping,, not pecking on the keyboard. You are correct it is DATA WEIGHING SYSTEMS. I went back and corrected it when I seen your post. THANK YOU. AWS is the company I deal with on my job for weighing tractor trailers. Brain Fart 101.

The A&D FX 120i weighs down to 1 granule of powder. Plenty accurate for any precision reloading operation. Make sure you get a current conditioner as these scale are sensitive to current variations in consumer power supplies.
Scale, $550 and current conditioner, $50. All set unless you want to add the V3 auto measure system for automatic dispensing and weight.
I'm having problems finding a good current conditioner. Where did you get yours?

You are not wrong. This level of precision is not for everyone. Depending on the level of accuracy a person needs different standards are/may be needed.

Any improvement is important as you say as long you have everything else to that same degree of perfection. At some point very slight changes/improvements are hard to measure, But believe me they all help at distance. What might not show up at 100 yards can be several inches at 1000 yards.

Like many, I use to not worry about small differences because of the range and use. once I started shooting and hunting long distances these little things became noticeable and had a negative effect on bullet placement. I was also happy with 1/2 MOA accuracy. Once I became anal about everything, I saw 1/4 MOA frequently and sub 1/10th MOA on occasions.

For many people this degree is not necessary, but if a person is not happy with his accuracy then being consistent in everything can make a difference.

For myself, Many of my rifles/pistols don't require 1/4 MOA or better accuracy. But it is hard to have two different standards, so I treat all of my firearms with the same attention to details and in the end, I am never disappointed in their performance.

Different strokes' for different folks. :)
Just My Opinion.

J E CUSTOM
There nothing more satisfying than taking a factory rifle to the 1000yd range and shooting an 10inch steel gong or paper target all day long and just a couple of misses. That's SUB MOA. Frustration Is taking a $4500.00 custom rifle to the range and can't hit Crapp. Me, I'm building my reloading room to support my first official custom rifle , coming next year. I have a few buddies that I get the pleasure of working with them on their custom rigs, but their problem is they do not have the experience that I have with reloading and gunsmithing, or the tools of the trade. So on range day My factory Howa 1500 6.5CM out preforms them on paper. Frustrating for them,, right.
I do every thing for my Factory rifle that I do for custom barreled rifles and it pays off big time. Some will agree,, some will disagree. As long as my gun shoots to my expectations, I'm a happy camper, in the end game, that's all that matters. " I'm quite happy with my JUNK,,, it's all me. Thank you for your post on this forum. I find them most informative and they give me new ideas in the direction I need to take my reloading. Thank you.

Many have mentioned the FX scale, and of course the old beam scales are great and very precise just slower. The biggest thing on a beam scale is make sure your head is in the same place every time you look at the needle it so you don't have the parallax effect throwing you off from charge to charge.

What I ended up doing is picked up an old (like 30 years old) Ohaus analytical balance from a university lab on ebay. You can find them on ebay usually for $200ish working and for like $50 if you know how to fix one up. I defined a custom unit in mine with a conversion from grams to grains and it has a 0.01 grain resolution. It does drift a little after several charges, but nothing like the gempro, which I also tried. I would avoid gempro big time, the one I had drifted so much every single charge that it was completely useless. The used analytical balance I have works far far better. Someday, I'll have an autotrickler and FX scale though. If you've got the money, I'd go that route for sure.

This sport already either attracts or creates a lot of OCD, AR type poeple. I get it and the fun part about shooting is the technical and details do matter. There is however a point of diminishing returns. Once we start buying into high priced, time consuming products that make absolutly no measurable difference in reuslt then we are allowing ourselves to be abused by the marketing arms of companies. $2000 scales to weigh down to .01 is one of those abuses. If you have one of these scales I have a test for you to try. Take your Lyman or RCBS balance beam, set it up correctly, clean the knife edges and knife pocket and mark you loading table with an outline of the scale to ensure it has not moved between charges being wieghed. Weigh ten charges, ensuring the balance beam is spot on the center mark. For even better accuracy you can attach a pin to the arm. Weigh each of those charges as you do them on your .01 scale and record the weight. I guarantee if you are using your balance beam right you won't have more than .01 above or below the target weight and most will be right on. I ahve done this test with a half dozen balance beams, and even the cheap Lee can hit .02 accuracy. So what this shows you is your expensive electronic scale isn't actually any more accurate than the balance beam, and with the balance beam you don't need to worry about dirty household current, temp, humidity or wind currents affecting the zero near as much. Balance beams don't "DRIFT" much if they aren't moved between charges.

So on top of the fact that they aren't materially more accurate than a balance beam, there is no documented proof that I know of that a .01 eoectronic scale will reduce ES or SD or produce better groups or less vertical at distance.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.