.001 gram (.015grain) scales?

TheDeicide

Edited to clarify my error

The Gem Pro seems to be discontinued. I have found Gem20 and Gemini 20 but find no mention of the latter on here and one breif (i have one) post about the Gem20. Does anyone here have or had one? I'd like opinions from the folks here. Knowing some Amazon sellers buy ratings makes me hesitant to trust those.

Last edited:
You need to buy a copy of Phil Sharpe's handloading book. They use labratory scales and were anal beyond belief with no discernable results.

There has been no published double blind test that shows that 1/10 of a grain any large capacity cartridge has any impact in accuracy or trajectory to 1000 yards.

You need to buy a copy of Phil Sharpe's handloading book. They use labratory scales and were anal beyond belief with no discernable results.

There has been no published double blind test that shows that 1/10 of a grain any large capacity cartridge has any impact in accuracy or trajectory to 1000 yards.

I'm wanting this for my smaller caliber loads. I agree that 1/10 of a grain means nothing for large volume loads.

Do you really want down to 0.001 grain? I would think something like this is 100's of thousands of $$$
I believe he actually meant .01 but like Sheep said, there is no evidence it has any material effect going from .1 to ,01. I also agree with SS on loading 22 H with a Lyman 55, and I throw charges with a 55 for a lot of rounds. No impact on accuracy. I have also loaded thousands of rifle rounds on a Dillon 550 and they shoot bugholes, lots accurate to at least 600 yards. I have chronoed, check ES/SD on many different thrown round loads, it takes quite a powder difference to affect it and the larger the case the bigger the powder difference has to be. I would be spending time on concentric rounds and seating depth long before I worried about .01 powder weight.

Last edited:
This is probably the best deal on a scale that can measure to .02 Gr. My Gempro 250 just died after 7 years of use. In another thread a member mentioned this scale from Grizzly. I am very happy with it. Well for $50 anyways. I like this scale better than a Gempro. Options start getting way more expensive from here. They seem to sell out of the scales from time to time too....

For handguns I use RCBS Uniflow Powder Measure. For rifles I use a 20 year old PACT digital scale and powder dispenser. Maybe I don't shoot enough, or cant justify spending close to $1K for a scale/dispenser

6 ppc is a relatively small cartridge and the 22ppc short even more so. Us BR guys have been throwing charges in these for a very long time and shoot in the zeros and 1s with these crude measurements. Most good throwers can get plus or minus a tenth so basically a 2 tenth window and they shoot one hole all day. If you are in your node a few tenths won't hurt. Now on a hornet case that only holds 11 grains of h110 with a 40 grain bullet it might. That's my hornet load by the way.
The problem with the cheaper scales is they drift continually. Best to save your money up and buy an A and D and be happy.
I use a tuned 10-10 scale and I can hold way smaller that a tenth. Yes the scale only goes to a tenth but you can read it closer than that. I glue a needle tip to the beam on mine where you read it and you can get fantastic results with the beam scales.
Shep

+1 on the Bald Eagle scale from Grizzly. It's about the best digital scale you're going to get under $400-500. I've had mine for like 3 years and it's never let me down. Calibrate it, tare your pan every 5-6 loads, and it'll stay within +-.02 grain. I love mine and can't complain for the price.

here is a recent thread on high quality scales . keep in mind the A&D FX120i is a 0.02 . I feel this is plenty accurate enough for most reloaders . guys that weigh primers are looking at scales 0.001 . read through the thread a guy mentions a discount code . I have a youtube link in post #11 that explains the difference between a strain gauge scale , and a magnetic force scale .

This is probably the best deal on a scale that can measure to .02 Gr. My Gempro 250 just died after 7 years of use. In another thread a member mentioned this scale from Grizzly. I am very happy with it. Well for $50 anyways. I like this scale better than a Gempro. Options start getting way more expensive from here. They seem to sell out of the scales from time to time too....

I will look into this. Thanks for the input.

here is a recent thread on high quality scales . keep in mind the A&D FX120i is a 0.02 . I feel this is plenty accurate enough for most reloaders . guys that weigh primers are looking at scales 0.001 . read through the thread a guy mentions a discount code . I have a youtube link in post #11 that explains the difference between a strain gauge scale , and a magnetic force scale .

Jim I will add this to my que to watch. Also it's nice to see another local on here.

If you were looking for a scale that did weigh down to .001 I would suggest the sartorius entris 64-1s. I bought this because I did not like how my two chargemasters wandered and how slow they were. Was and is it overkill YES. Does the magnetic force restoration and speed beat two chargemasters YES. I only weigh powder on it I do not weigh bullets, brass, or primers. It will weigh down to the granule of XBR8208.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.