.001 gram (.015grain) scales?

Haven't been to a match in a long time but way back in the old daze when I was shooting benchrest the winners were throwing powder by volume, not weight. There is an art to using a powder measure but it is not difficult. When you use lab grade $cales or even the cheap drug dealer grade scales that claim to measure to hundredths of a grain all kind of strange things can affect the readings. The result is less confidence in the load.
Think in terms of the percent of the load and velocity SD instead of hundredths of a grain. Just because you can measure it does not make it the most important thing. I found that a super good SD comes from the correct load, not neccessarily the most precisely weighed load.

If you were looking for a scale that did weigh down to .001 I would suggest the sartorius entris 64-1s. I bought this because I did not like how my two chargemasters wandered and how slow they were. Was and is it overkill YES. Does the magnetic force restoration and speed beat two chargemasters YES. I only weigh powder on it I do not weigh bullets, brass, or primers. It will weigh down to the granule of XBR8208.
At $1,200 before taxes, I hope the rifle, bullet and shooter are capable of the extra precision

You do realize that the only way you can get anywhere near that kind of accuracy is in a temperature and humidity controlled environment with an enclosure that eliminates air currents, right?
As others have said, +-.1 grain makes no practical difference.

Does anyone except me wonder why that this anal pursuit of 1/100th grain of a powder charge cannot be supported by any recognized test using accepted testing methods ?

I'm wondering how many winners of recognized 1000 yard matches are worried about 1/100 of a grain ?

I know Tubbs and Zediker are NOT.

Normally an accurate node is about 1 grain in width. If you load to the middle of that you can vary by 0,5gr and the load is still bang on. The 0,1gr increment is thus adequate for most reloading. Temperature will have a larger effect than weight variation by 0,2gr.

At $1,200 before taxes, I hope the rifle, bullet and shooter are capable of the extra precision
For me it was for peace of mind. I previously was shooting around nine major matches a year, 15 local matches, burning up at least four barrels a year, plus hunting and everything that goes into it. To me I wanted to eliminate any concerns and speed up the process without going to a prometheus.

For me it was for peace of mind. I previously was shooting around nine major matches a year, 15 local matches, burning up at least four barrels a year, plus hunting and everything that goes into it. To me I wanted to eliminate any concerns and speed up the process without going to a prometheus.
For you, it makes sense....

AS A NIST CERTIFIED AND TRAINED CALIBRATION METROLOGY ENGINEER (35H20 FOR YOU PMEL TYPES) I TOTALLY APPRECIATE WANTING TO BE WITHIN .001 GRAIN... I AM ANAL RETENTIVE BY NATURE...

HOWEVER

ITS POINTLESS UNLESS YOUR AMBIENT TEMP IS WITHIN +/- .1 DEG

HUMIDITY IS WITHIN +/- .1 %

BULLET JUMP IS WITHIN .000001"

CASE VOLUME IS WITHIN .00001 GRAINS OF Water

Primer pocket within .00001 height AND depth

Powder density affected by humidity. 00001% by volume per pound....

Etc

Etc

Etc

Read the works of ackley, ASKINS, Keith on reloading...

Elmer Keith took 30 years to warm up to loading by charge weight rather than volume!!!!

Those 45lc, 44lc mag, 44 mag HE KILLED deer @ 200,300,400 yards in oregon and idaho were loaded by volume in a cabin by volume on a lap press! BTW YOU CAN ONLY GET TO THAT CABIN BY HORSE EVEN TODAY

We can get really anal in my profession

Gotta learn to say "good enough"

Looking at the Grizzly scale and doing some basic math, looks like it would be +/- 0.01543235835 grains. I divided 0.001g (grams) by 0.06479891 (conversion factor for grams to grains).

In my 40 plus years of reloading I have used a beam scale and manual powder trickler , a Belden Mull powder throw, a Redding Competition Powder Measure and an RCBS ChargeMaster. The one thing I saw on both powder throws is that your action with the throw must be consistent every time. Also stick, flake and ball powders all have their plus and minus with each type of powder measure type. Something I think a reloader should really be aware of is how his powder reacts depending on the method he uses to get his powder charges thrown. After all the use and results, I personally have done myself, my choice is the ChargeMaster.

My RCBS ChargeMaster is +/- 0.1 and I get es of sub 10 in my 300 WSM. Personally, I think (IMHO) other factors such as brass prep, resizing method, neck tension and seating depth play a much bigger role in me achieving those ES values. My loads are also at the top or just over stated pressures.

After hunting season, I might just run a test on my 22-250, 300 WSM, 30 & 357 Herrett, and .45 ACP and see what each method will produce. That should keep me busy for a few months.

The Gem Pro seems to be discontinued. I have found Gem20 and Gemini 20 but find no mention of the latter on here and one breif (i have one) post about the Gem20. Does anyone here have or had one? I'd like opinions from the folks here. Knowing some Amazon sellers buy ratings makes me hesitant to trust those.
I use an inexpensive lab scale weighs down to 1 mg or 0.0154 grains, has cheap plastic to block wind, from ventilation and movement, must re-zero often, it is not a good mettler or Ohauslab scale. Since I no longer run laboratories had to get something, have to let the weight stabilize each time. Instructions are light and the one I bought has a calibration feature, but haven't gotten it to work. Bought on Amazon and a set of calibration weights. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0146B55VW/?tag=lrhmag19-20
This is not the one I bought but it looks like the same unit with a different name (one I bought isn't in stock). This is the Ohaus I would've have bought if the cheaper one didn't work, but either one have to have a rock solid surface with a concrete floor and make sure it is level.
Ohaus SPX123 Scout Portable Balance 120G x 0.001g
Good luck, using one of these saves me time on reload setup and eliminates most of the variability on velocity especially when I weigh powder charge target, to match bullet weight variability. As the bullet weight variability really shows up on using a balance with better resolution.

I like my fx120i but even it gets blown off from ac coming on in the room. I work with true balances at work and they can be infuriating, I wouldn't want anything more that the 120i

The A&D FX 120i weighs down to 1 granule of powder. Plenty accurate for any precision reloading operation. Make sure you get a current conditioner as these scale are sensitive to current variations in consumer power supplies.
Scale, $550 and current conditioner, $50. All set unless you want to add the V3 auto measure system for automatic dispensing and weight.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.