0 MOA or 20 MOA base?

Thank you for all the reply's. 20 MOA rail it will be. I'm looking at the Extream Hardcore Gear base with the Seekins rings. Seekins only makes a 1" tube ring in low .76" profile. How much will the base raise the rings. .25"??

have a look at the Talley rings. I'm actually trying to make sure my scope doesn't hit the barrel.

Just measured a Weaver 20 MOA base, installed on a Savage LA, and at the back it is 0.38" tall (from top center of receiver to top of picatinny). I've never done a Tika, but I've installed quite a few Weaver/EGW 20 MOA rails on Rem 700, Win M70, Marlin X7, and Savage 110. On every rifle so far, they raise the rings enough that a low mount will work with 30 mm tubes, with 44-56 mm objectives. In fact, low rings are almost never as low as I'd like, and usually leave 1/8-3/16" more clearance than necessary.

One thing to be aware of, if the base is the "extended" style, and sticks out past the front of the receiver, it can hit the scope bell, depending on how far back you mount for eye relief. I usually just chop the overhanging part off with hacksaw, dress with a file, then hit with some flat black rattle can.

Hi, may not be the done thing this being my 1st post and all, but here goes.
A canted rail is of little use to you unless you have run out of elevation zeroing your scope, or if you intend on removing the factory installed zero stop. There is only 13.5 moa adjustment available in the Z5, you'll only end up dialling from a canted zero to 13.5 moa and less parts to come loose on scope mounts the better.
Light weight talley rings are a great option.
Just to quantify my opinion, I fit a few of these scopes to various make/calibre rifles and set them up for mid/long range hunting for customers.
I'll now go find the introduce yourself part of the forum.
Cheers Scotty

Thank you for all the reply's. 20 MOA rail it will be. I'm looking at the Extream Hardcore Gear base with the Seekins rings. Seekins only makes a 1" tube ring in low .76" profile. How much will the base raise the rings. .25"??

The Extreme Hardcore Gear base is awesome. Saves you from having to find a bubble level solution later on too. Had one on my R700 and had zero complaints.

There is only 13.5 moa adjustment available in the Z5, you'll only end up dialling from a canted zero to 13.5 moa and less parts to come loose on scope mounts the better.

The specs on the Z5 specify 58 MOA Max elevation adjustment???? Am I reading the specs incorrectly?

My son has a new Tikka T3X in 6.5 CM that we're putting on a Swarovski Z5 3.5 x 18 x 44 with a one-inch tube. We already have the scope. The scope has 58 MOA max elevation travel. I'm trying to decide between a 0 MOA or 20 MOA scope base. We mostly hunt Coues Whitetail deer in Arizona. I usually have zero at 200 yards. Our max shot in a hunting situation won't be past 600yards. We'd like to target practice out beyond that though. We'll be using Hornady 143 grain ELDX rounds. Any thoughts or suggestions you care to share??
the 6.5 creed is going to drop out of the air and tumble at a little past 1300 yards on a 24 in barrel. With a 300 yrd zero your MOA adjustment is under 50 MOA. With that said I do think Talley makes excellant products.

The specs on the Z5 specify 58 MOA Max elevation adjustment???? Am I reading the specs incorrectly?
Sorry I wasn't very clear there.
There is plenty of adjustment to get zeroed, but the 58 max becomes irrelevant after zeroing as Swarovski's zero stop system on the Z5 only allows about 90% of a revolution. Therefore you have 13.5 moa available after zeroing, regardless of zero range(unless for some reason you max out getting zeroed). Could be part of their ethical hunting ethos, or more likely pushing people into the more pricey Z6 range for multi revolution turrets.

Last edited:
20 MOA. I talked to a Leupold tech and he enlightened me about something I never thought about. As you adjust the turrets for elevation, the crosshairs are move into ever decreasing space in the scope tube. With the MOA mount, you will stay further away from the decreasing available windage adjustment. I don't understand why it does it, but he explained that if you do a ladder test, it could cause a horizontal error. as you move the crosshairs into the ever decreasing part of the scope. Like I said, I don't fully understand why it induces a horizontal error, but he is the expert.

20 MOA. I talked to a Leupold tech and he enlightened me about something I never thought about. As you adjust the turrets for elevation, the crosshairs are move into ever decreasing space in the scope tube. With the MOA mount, you will stay further away from the decreasing available windage adjustment. I don't understand why it does it, but he explained that if you do a ladder test, it could cause a horizontal error. as you move the crosshairs into the ever decreasing part of the scope. Like I said, I don't fully understand why it induces a horizontal error, but he is the expert.
That is the best point yet. the 20 MOA would keep u in the middle of the tube. Plus NZ scotty explaining that particular scope function.

That is the best point yet. the 20 MOA would keep u in the middle of the tube. Plus NZ scotty explaining that particular scope function.
Just want to add, the Leupold mounts gave always been my favorite setup. I like to center the crosshairs and then adjust the windage with the mounts and then fine tune with the scope if necessary. That way the horizontal cross hair is always centered. BTW, I've heard that you can center the cross hairs by putting the scope up to a mirror and adjust the cross hairs until they are super imposed. That is supposed to center the cross hairs, but the jury is still out on that one. If anyone tries that, please let me know how it works for you.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.