0 MOA or 20 MOA base?

cpugsie

My son has a new Tikka T3X in 6.5 CM that we're putting on a Swarovski Z5 3.5 x 18 x 44 with a one-inch tube. We already have the scope. The scope has 58 MOA max elevation travel. I'm trying to decide between a 0 MOA or 20 MOA scope base. We mostly hunt Coues Whitetail deer in Arizona. I usually have zero at 200 yards. Our max shot in a hunting situation won't be past 600yards. We'd like to target practice out beyond that though. We'll be using Hornady 143 grain ELDX rounds. Any thoughts or suggestions you care to share??

We'd like to target practice out beyond that though. We'll be using Hornady 143 grain ELDX rounds. Any thoughts or suggestions you care to share??
Definitely 20MOA rail, with it fitted you should be able to get out to around close to 1000yrds with the combined 58MOA of the scope.

As soon as you start shooting/mastering 600yrds you will be wanting more for sure 😁

Edit: I could still hold a 100mtr zero the a similar set up 60MOA/20MOA scope combo.

Last edited:
A sloped rail never hurts unless you can't get to zero. You can get the same effect with Burris Signature rings with their offset inserts if you don't have rings yet (and already have a 0° rail).

You can also bed a scope rail on an angle if you want to get every last bit of drop from your scope.

For what it is worth ...

20 MOA.jpg

My son has a new Tikka T3X in 6.5 CM that we're putting on a Swarovski Z5 3.5 x 18 x 44 with a one-inch tube. We already have the scope. The scope has 58 MOA max elevation travel. I'm trying to decide between a 0 MOA or 20 MOA scope base. We mostly hunt Coues Whitetail deer in Arizona. I usually have zero at 200 yards. Our max shot in a hunting situation won't be past 600yards. We'd like to target practice out beyond that though. We'll be using Hornady 143 grain ELDX rounds. Any thoughts or suggestions you care to share??
20 minute of angle rail even if you never need the extra elevation it's there and it's free even if your scope does not have that much travel

Split the difference, give it a 10!😁

Attachments

• B83CD2EB-7176-43B5-8F7F-EDCAFCBBE964.gif
    B83CD2EB-7176-43B5-8F7F-EDCAFCBBE964.gif
    2.1 MB · Views: 155
Thank you for all the reply's. 20 MOA rail it will be. I'm looking at the Extream Hardcore Gear base with the Seekins rings. Seekins only makes a 1" tube ring in low .76" profile. How much will the base raise the rings. .25"??

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.