0-600 yd optic…for basic shooter

Thinking about this:

Just looking for an easy way to extend from 300 yards to 600yds without confusing the shooter too much…shooter using a Tikka 270 WSM.
grt8fuldoug just listed some Leupolds in stock with cds dials. That might be the easiet if you can have a custom dial made.

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/leupold-optics-available-for-immediate-shipments.280798/

I didn't realize that Fire Dot Windplex was illuminated and had the moa hash marks. I guess I'm really old. It looks good and match it with a cds custom dial and it should be real easy.

Personally I like a little more magnification for 600. Was doing pretty good recently with a leupold I think it was a vx-5 at 14 power seemed really good but kinda spendy.

What's confusing? and no one is basic, Beginner maybe but not basic
Good points. Basically, I showed my dad some 300-600 yd shooting. He enjoyed it. Hit some steel. Now he thinks he wants to add some capability to his 200 ish point blank range method.

That said, the idea of practicing his shot setup a bunch, looking at both turrets to confirm setting before every shot, or a 2lb scope would likely cause him to bail out.

He's a fine shooter, but he is looking to keep this pretty simple.

He also loves Leupold scopes also.

Yeah, I can see why you used the term "basic shooter" — and yeah, it's different from a "beginning shooter." 😊

Some shooters don't want sophistication but prefer simplicity = basic!

I guess I'm on the other end of that scale: basic—sophisticated...! 😄
Throw the ballistics book at me, hit me with the technology book — it hurts so good!! 👍🏼 😄

Matthias

FWIW My last few scopes have been VX-5HD with windplex and CDS. 3-15x44. Light, clear, and enough magnification for that range for sure. Zero stop is nice and can have turret cut. Also windplex reticle makes holding for wind way easier. Past 500 the wind is where I struggle.

I've used the CDS system quite a bit since it came out. As long as your good to go with using one load/one bullet no mucking around it's a very good sytem.

Easy to set up repeatable...

For big game to 600 I'd say let er buck

9x at 600 yard is going to be less than Optimal. I would be looking to get to at least 12x or 15x.

Burris Veracity 3x15x50 is a scope I like alot, and would be a good candidate for this.

Recent Posts