0-600 yd optic…for basic shooter

Seems like a good scope. For me, when I purchase a scope for long range shooting there are the things the scope must have for me that is non-negotiable, and depending on the price range the optics will always be a non issue at the higher ranges. For for me the scope must enough internal adjustment to get me to the long range I want to shoot regardless of caliber. So it normally means a minimum of 80 MOA of internal elevation adjustment. Secondly must have a parallax adjustment or adjustable objective, and lastly some form of mil-dot reticle that I can use to shoot beyond the distances I shoot . Don't forget to get a good moa base also for it.

9x at 600 yard is going to be less than Optimal. I would be looking to get to at least 12x or 15x.

Burris Veracity 3x15x50 is a scope I like alot, and would be a good candidate for this.
I disagree, he's not shooting competition, we shot straight 10X@ 1000 yards for along time, 9X will be just fine

Good points. Basically, I showed my dad some 300-600 yd shooting. He enjoyed it. Hit some steel. Now he thinks he wants to add some capability to his 200 ish point blank range method.

That said, the idea of practicing his shot setup a bunch, looking at both turrets to confirm setting before every shot, or a 2lb scope would likely cause him to bail out.

He's a fine shooter, but he is looking to keep this pretty simple.

He also loves Leupold scopes also.
Then maybe a BDC type reticle would be the easiet for him. Maybe mil based but that all depends on the load and altitude your shooting/ hunting at. Dialing is still an option if you can help him simply his set up for a shot. Say range distance, look up the come ups on chart say inside scope cover, dial come ups, and shoot. With practice it will become easier.

Thinking about this:

Just looking for an easy way to extend from 300 yards to 600yds without confusing the shooter too much…shooter using a Tikka 270 WSM.
Easy as can be. Move to 300-yards with 100-yard zero and measured velocity (or stated from factory box). Set up Ballistic application accordingly and check predicted drop. Recalculate velocity using actual drop via Ballistic feature or ratio-predict expected drop and thereby sight setting for 600-yards.

If you want simple, go with FFP scopes. Whether dialing or using the reticle graduations they are the easiest to use, especially in hunting situations where time may be of essence.
That was how I went when going to longer ranges. Got an SWFA 3-15 mil/mil. I had never done dialing before or mil/mil and my only FFP scope was a 1.5-6 on a DG rifle. Easy transition on all fronts.

What do you have Bud
Sorry it took a while to get back to you. Been working like a convict planting trees and other fall projects. I am not close to the scope and can only remember that it is a Crimson Trace 6-24-56mm with a 34mm tube FFP illuminated and heavy. I will be sitting down playing with it, on a new tripod, this Sunday. I will try to let you know how I make out figuring out all those little marks on the reticle. Thanks for checking up on me.

Generally I need at least 2x per each 100 yds. And I can't afford the Leupold scopes I love so much, so I use mostly the magnum Bushnells in the 12-18x, 40-50mm range! I'm retired and on SS now! (Semi-retired and fully retarded!)

I disagree, he's not shooting competition, we shot straight 10X@ 1000 yards for along time, 9X will be just fine
We used to watch black and white TV too. 9x can get it done, but we are a touch more advanced with optics today so why limit yourself to a 9x which is marginal at 600 yards when we can quite easily do better?

6x or 10x SWFA Mil-R reticle. That'd be simple, reliable, repeatable, able to easily adapt to different loads and altitudes. I personally have killed game to 600 yards with the 6x SWFA and it worked great.

Good luck either way.

I would try to find one of the Zeiss Conquest RZ-600 or RZ-800 scopes. The reticle is simple and quick. I love it. I have one aq 25-06 carry rifle and it is easy peasy. You find the right powder setting on the scope that matches the trajectory of your ammo. Mark that spot on the powder dial and just go to that power for long range shots. I've made kills at 450 yards with it.
I have the 4.5-14x44 with RZ-800 reticle and the perfect powder setting for the reticle to match the ammo is 10x.
The things also dial very accurately, if you find yourself in a situation where you don't think the reticle will work for you.